To further our great mission — THE ENCOURAGEMENT OF DUET SINGING IN AMERICA — we will conduct a Vocal Duet Contest on the October 20th, 2012 broadcast from The Fitzgerald Theater in St. Paul, with valuable cash prizes awarded by the vote of our audience and listeners.
Simply record your duet (a real duet, please, not a solo with backup vocal) and submit it by Friday, September 21. From the submissions we receive, we'll choose five or six finalists to sing on the broadcast. We provide roundtrip airfare and two nights' hotel accommodation.
Songs can be original or not — of any musical genre — sung by any gender combination, F/M, F/F, M/M.
You'll have a great time. You'll impress your friends and family. There will be a post-show party. Photographs will be taken, etc., etc. And you just might win!
Call for submissions: The Prairie Home Duet Contest
- Vocal duets only of two voices — can be male/female, male/male, or female/ female, but we are not interested in instrumental duets. Any spoken language is acceptable.
- Has to be a true duet song — not simply a lead singer with backup vocal.
- Songs can be either original or published — there are no copyright restrictions for our performance purposes. Please enter the song you plan on singing if chosen.
- The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band will provide official musical accompaniment on the broadcast, unless the two of you are able to accompany yourselves. Your submitted entry may include any accompaniment you wish.
- Submissions must be received by 5 pm (CST) on Friday, September 21, 2012.
- All finalists chosen to appear on the October 20th broadcast will receive roundtrip airfare and hotel accommodation for the nights of October 19th and 20th in Saint Paul, MN.
- All participants must be available from Friday morning, October 19th until Sunday, October 21st.
If digital is not an option for you, you can also send a CD to:
Prairie Home Duet Contest submissions
611 Frontenac Place
St. Paul, MN 55104
Submissions will not be returned.
NO CONTRIBUTION OR PURCHASE IS NECESSARY — MAKING A CONTRIBUTION WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING THIS CONTEST
HOW TO ENTER THE ABOVE CONTEST: No contribution or purchase is necessary. To enter the Contest, a duet must do one of the following: 1) complete the online entry form and upload an audio file of the duet's performance (as more fully described below), or 2) print a copy of the entry form and submit a CD containing an audio file of the duet's performance (as more fully described below). To be eligible, an entry must contain either the online form with audio file OR the completed paper form with CD (the "Entry").
To be considered, an Entry must be submitted between 9:00 a.m. CT Monday July 30, 2012 and 5:00 p.m. CT Friday, September 21, 2012. Entries with incomplete or incomprehensible information will be disqualified. Entries submitted by other means will not be considered. Limit one Entry per unique combination of two people performing as a duet. Each person in may be a member of more than one duet. However, multiple entries by the same duet, if discovered, will be disqualified.
The Entry will be deemed to be submitted when SPONSOR receives the Entry. SPONSOR has sole responsibility for determining if an Entry has been successfully submitted. Any Entry that is not in compliance with these Official Rules may be disqualified, at the sole discretion of the SPONSOR. Void where prohibited by law.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS: Both persons in the duet must meet all of the eligibility requirements:
1. The Contest is open only to legal residents of any one of the 50 United States or the District of Columbia who are 18 years of age or older at time of entry.
2. The Entrant (both members of the duet) must be available on October 19-21, 2012.
3. THIS CONTEST IS INTENDED FOR PLAY IN THE UNITED STATES ONLY. DO NOT ENTER THIS CONTEST UNLESS YOU ARE LOCATED IN THE UNITED STATES AT THE TIME OF ENTRY.
The following persons are not eligible: Persons who on or after November 15, 2011, were or are employees of SPONSOR, American Public Media (APM) or its related organizations, or of any immediate family or persons living in the same household. Void where prohibited by law.
SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS: An Entry must meet all of the following requirements:
1. The Entrant must meet all eligibility requirements.
2. The Entry must be between 0: 30 and 6:00 minutes in length. Any Entry that is less than 0: 30 minute or more than 6:00 minutes will be disqualified.
3. The Entry must be of a vocal duet only of two voices in any combination (i.e., male/female, male/male, or female/ female). Instrumental duets are not eligible.
4. The Entrant must perform the song in the Entry.
5. The Entrant's performance must be of one (1) song.
6. The song may be sung in any spoken language, and may not contain any language that SPONSOR, in its sole discretion, deems to be offensive or otherwise not appropriate for broadcast.
7. The Entry must be a true duet performance (e.g., not simply a lead singer with backup vocal) as determined in SPONSOR's sole discretion.
8. The song performed by the Entrant in the Entry may be either original or preexisting, may be published or unpublished, and may be of any musical genre.
9. The Entry must be of the song that the Entrant would sing on A Prairie Home Companion if the Entrant is selected as a Finalist.
10. The Entry may include accompaniment. If selected as a Finalist, SPONSOR will provide musical accompaniment by The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band on the broadcast, unless the members of the duet are able to accompany themselves.
Any Entry that does not meet all Submission Requirements may be disqualified at any time, in the sole discretion of SPONSOR.
LICENSE: By entering the Contest, each Entrant grants an irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide non-exclusive license to SPONSOR, APM, and its related companies to reproduce, distribute, and display the Entry as follows: 1) in connection with the Contest and promotion of the Contest, including, but not limited to terrestrial broadcasts, web, and any other platform now known or later developed, and 2) in any other noncommercial use in any media now or hereafter known, including but not limited to posting on SPONSOR's web site. SPONSOR will not be required to pay any additional consideration or seek any additional approval in connection with such use.
SELECTION AND NOTIFICATION OF WINNERS: Every eligible entry will be included in the Contest. Entries will be judged by SPONSOR's staff and six (6) duets will be selected as Finalists by SPONSOR. Selection criteria may include originality, humor, and musical quality. Broadcast, display, or publication on SPONSOR's website of any entry does not indicate the Entrant will be selected as a Winner. Winner will be notified by phone.
If SPONSOR is unable to reach Finalist by 9:00 a.m. CT, Wednesday, October 3, 2012, then the first available back up thereof will be selected as a Finalist until a total of six Finalists are selected. No alternate Finalists will be selected if an original finalist is unable to appear at The Fitzgerald Theater in Saint Paul, MN on October 20, 2012 due to unforeseen circumstances. The rules detailing Contest eligibility and method of selecting Finalists are on file at SPONSOR. The chances of winning are dependent upon the number of eligible entries.
PRIZE: Six (6) duets will be selected as Finalists. All Finalists will perform live on A PRAIRIE HOME COMPANION at The Fitzgerald Theater in Saint Paul, MN on October 20, 2012. Each Finalist will receive roundtrip airfare and two nights' hotel accommodation for two people. Flights and hotel are selected by SPONSOR using the airline and hotel selected by SPONSOR in its sole discretion. Each Finalist prize package retail value: $1000.00
Finalists are responsible for any and all other costs associated with using the prize including but not limited to meals and incidentals. Prize is nontransferable, not good for cash, and cannot be exchanged for other merchandise. Finalists will receive the prize as arranged by SPONSOR.
Three (3) Finalists will be selected by audience members present when the Finalists perform live on A PRAIRIE HOME COMPANION at The Fitzgerald Theater in Saint Paul, MN on October 20, 2012. The Grand Prize winner will receive a one-time payment of $2500, the Second Prize Winner will receive a one-time payment of $1500, and the Third Prize Winner will receive a one-time payment of $1000. Total prize retail value: $5000.00.
SPONSORS RESERVATION OF RIGHTS: SPONSOR reserves the right to modify these Official Rules (e.g., add rules or to clarify any or all of the rules) at any time during the Contest. Any such additions or clarifications will be posted with these rules; SPONSOR has no further obligation to publicize such additions or clarifications. Likewise, SPONSOR reserves the right to make exceptions to the Rules in its sole discretion and without further obligation to other Entrants.
GENERAL: By participating in this Contest, participants agree to be bound by the Official Rules and that SPONSOR and related organizations, their agents and employees have no liability whatsoever for any injuries, losses, or damages of any kind which result from use of the prize, or by participation in the Contest. SPONSOR or its related organizations may use Winner's name and likeness for advertising, fundraising, promotional or publicity purposes without further compensation. Expenses as a result of winning this prize are the responsibility of the Winner. All Entries become the property of the SPONSOR and will not be returned.
RESTRICTIONS: By participating in the Contest, an Entrant agrees to be bound by these Official Rules, and by all decisions of the SPONSOR.
SPONSOR: A PRAIRIE HOME COMPANION, 611 Frontenac Place, St. Paul, MN 55104