HOT JAZZ BISCUITS
This week on A Prairie Home Companion, it's our final show of the year, from The Town Hall in New York City. Vince Giordano and the Nighthawks will blow some very hot jazz into the icy atmosphere, keeping our molecules vibrating, Heather Masse (from the Wailin' Jennys) will swing by for a few duets, and celebrated New York stage musical composer, and lyricist, Ricky Ian Gordon will join us as well. The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band can't get the van started in St. Paul, so they'll have the week off getting that new alternator installed, but Rich Dworsky will hold things together with 88 keys of Steinway, along with The Royal Academy of Radio Actors; Tim Russell, Sue Scott, Erica Rhodes, and Fred Newman, gospel singer Jearlyn Steele, and The News from Lake Wobegon.
Click any image to start the slideshow
- 00:00:00 - Logo
- 00:00:14 - "Tishomingo Blues" - GK with Rich Dworsky and Vince Giordano's Nighthawks
- 00:03:35 - GK opens talks about New Year's Eve, hard year, recession
- 00:04:55 - "Bad News" sonnet
- 00:06:23 - "Hush Little Baby" - GK with Heather Masse and Richard Dworsky
- 00:11:43 - "My Baby Just Cares For Me" - Vince Giordano's Nighthawks
- 00:15:07 - Mom script
- 00:20:57 - "Coffee jingle" - GK, Jearlyn Steele, Nighthawks
- 00:22:40 - GK intros Ricky Ian Gordon
- 00:24:55 - "Finding Home" - Ricky Ian Gordon
- 00:28:55 - "Heaven" - Ricky Ian Gordon
- 00:30:35 - Powdermilk Biscuit Break - GK, Rich, Vince Giordano's Nighthawks
- 00:32:48 - Guy Noir script
- 00:42:11 - "I Ain't Got Nothing But the Blues" - Jearlyn Steele and Vince Giordano's Nighthawks
- 00:45:50 - Vince script
- 00:57:22 - "Manhattan Serenade" - Heather Masse and Vince Giordano's Nighthawks
- 00:59:12 - "Shake That Thing" - Vince Giordano's Nighthawks
- 01:02:55 - Intermission/"42nd Street"
- 01:06:43 - "Ain't Misbehavin'" - GK, Rich, Vince Giordano's Nighthawks
- 01:09:33 - Greetings
- 01:12:25 - "Echoes of Harlem" - Vince Giordano's Nighthawks
- 01:16:03 - Fred script
- 01:28:18 - "You Got Me All Wound Up" - Jearlyn Steele and Vince Giordano's Nighthawks
- 01:31:15 - "Come Ye Disconsolate" - GK, Jearlyn Steele, Heather Masse and Richard Dworsky
- 01:36:07 - News From Lake Wobegon ("Come Ye Disconsolate" continues under)
- 01:42:15 - GK talks with Ricky Ian Gordon
- 01:42:52 - "A Horse With Wings" - Ricky Ian Gordon
- 01:46:17 - Erica script
- 01:51:46 - "Henderson Stomp" - Vince Giordano's Nighthawks
- 01:54:52 - Credits, "Good Old Days"/"Auld Lang Syne"
Listen to individual segments as listed below
Need help listening to the audio? See how to listen.
Lovingly selected from the earliest archives of A Prairie Home Companion, this heirloom collection represents the music from earliest years of the now legendary show: 1974–1976. With songs and tunes from jazz pianist Butch Thompson, mandolin maestro Peter Ostroushko, Dakota Dave Hull and the first house band, The Powdermilk Biscuit Band (Adam Granger, Bob Douglas and Mary DuShane).