THE OLD NORTH
This week on A Prairie Home Companion, it's a live broadcast performance from the Durham Performing Arts Center, in Durham, North Carolina. With special guests, Robin & Linda Williams and Their Fine Group, roots duo Polecat Creek, and old-time string band Big Medicine. Also with us, The Royal Academy of Radio Actors; Tim Russell, Sue Scott, and Fred Newman, pianist Richard Dworsky, and The News from Lake Wobegon.
Click any image to start the slideshow
- 00:00:00 - Logo
- 00:00:12 - Tishomingo Blues
- 00:03:08 - GK opens, talks about North Carolina
- 00:06:33 - "Mother's Day Song (Mother Was a Lady)" - GK
- 00:10:20 - GK intros Big Medicine
- 00:11:00 - "Red Rocking Chair" - Big Medicine
- 00:14:43 - GK intros next tune
- 00:14:59 - "Foggy Mountain Top" - Big Medicine
- 00:18:22 - Hospitality script
- 00:22:40 - "Southern Shores" - Robin & Linda Williams and Their Fine Group
- 00:26:24 - "My Baby's Gone" - Robin &Linda Williams and Their Fine Group with GK
- 00:30:36 - Powdermilk Biscuit break
- 00:33:04 - GK intros Polecat Creek
- 00:34:29 - "Kiss Me Over the Garden" - Polecat Creek with Chris Brashear
- 00:36:56 - "Buckets of Blue" - Polecat Creek with Linda Williams
- 00:41:05 - Guy Noir script
- 00:55:30 - "We Shall All Be Reunited" - Big Medicine, Polecat Creek, Garrison Keillor, Richard Dworsky, Pat Donohue, Robin & Linda Williams and Their Fine Group
- 00:59:00 - Hey Good Lookin' (Intermission)
- 01:02:33 - Reverend Gary Davis Medley: "Let Us Get Together"
- 01:06:10 - North Carolina SFX script
- 01:08:33 - Greetings
- 01:11:50 - "First Trimester Blues" - Linda Williams, Pat Donohue and Richard Dworsky
- 01:14:45 - Mom script
- 01:20:08 - "Visions of Mother and Dad" - Robin &Linda Williams and Their Fine Group
- 01:23:42 - Coffee script
- 01:28:03 - GK talks with Polecat Creek
- 01:28:37 - "Cardinal Pair" - Polecat Creek
- 01:31:28 - "Mama's Hungry Eyes" - Robin &Linda Williams and Their Fine Group with Richard Dworsky
- >01:35:40 - The News from Lake Wobegon
- 01:46:40 - "Not Impossible" - Pat Donohue and Richard Dworsky
- 01:48:20 - "Rhubarb/Looking Toward Heaven" - Big Medicine
- 01:49:40 - "Mama" - Polecat Creek
- 01:53:38 - "Fire on the Mountain" - Big Medicine and Sarah Bryan
- 01:55:00 - Credits/"12 Gates to the City"
Listen to individual segments as listed below
Need help listening to the audio? See how to listen.
Lovingly selected from the earliest archives of A Prairie Home Companion, this heirloom collection represents the music from earliest years of the now legendary show: 1974–1976. With songs and tunes from jazz pianist Butch Thompson, mandolin maestro Peter Ostroushko, Dakota Dave Hull and the first house band, The Powdermilk Biscuit Band (Adam Granger, Bob Douglas and Mary DuShane).