WPHC IN CINCINNATI
This week on A Prairie Home Companion, we're broadcasting from Riverbend Music Center in Cincinnati, Ohio. With special guests, Australian alt-country duo Kasey Chambers and Shane Nicholson, Chicago harmonica legend Howard Levy, acclaimed opera soprano Angela Brown, and former U.S. Poet Laureate Billy Collins. Also with us, The Royal Academy of Radio Actors; Tim Russell, Sue Scott, and Fred Newman, The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band, and The News from Lake Wobegon.
Click any image to start the slideshow
- 00:00:00 - Logo
- 00:00:11 - Tishomingo Blues
- 00:03:00 - GK opens, talks about Cincinnati
- 00:05:52 - Cincinnati poem
- 00:08:31 - "Deep River Blues" - Pat Donohue, GK, band
- 00:11:50 - Guy Noir script
- 00:19:10 - "All Aboard" - Pat Donohue and The Guy's All-Star Band
- 00:22:48 - GK intros Angela Brown
- 00:24:13 - "Vissi d'arte" - Angela Brown and Henri Venanzi
- 00:27:30 - GK intros Billy Collins
- 00:28:30 - Billy recites "Ballistics" and "Hangover"
- 00:32:17 - Powdermilk Biscuit Break
- 00:33:53 - "The Sunday New York Times" - GK and band
- 00:38:30 - River script
- 00:50:51 - "My Babe" - Pat Donohue, Howard Levy and The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band
- 00:53:17 - GK intros Kasey Chambers and Shane Nicholson
- 00:55:44 - "Rattlin' Bones" - Kasey Chambers and Shane Nicholson
- 00:59:28 - GK intros Bill Chambers
- 01:00:04 - "Wildflower" - Kasey Chambers and Shane Nicholson with Bill Chambers
- 01:04:11 - Intermission
- 01:07:23 - GK talks about Riverbend, intros Angela Brown
- 01:10:10 - "My Soul's Been Anchored in the Lord" - Angela Brown and Tyron Cooper
- 01:12:30 - "Give Me Jesus" - Angela Brown and Tyron Cooper
- 01:16:36 - Fred script
- 01:22:10 - "Fiddle Dat Harp" - Howard Levy and band
- 01:24:05 - ELCA script
- 01:25:50 - GK brings Billy Collins back
- 01:26:50 - Billy Collins recites "Hippos on Holiday" and "Feedback" and "Adage"
- 01:30:55 - GK talks more about Kasey Chambers
- 01:31:50 - "Woe is Mine" - Kasey Chambers and Shane Nicholson
- 01:33:27 - Kasey intros next tune
- 01:34:04 - "Gone Long Gone" - Kasey Chambers and Shane Nicholson
- 01:37:47 - The News from Lake Wobegon
- 01:52:36 - "In the Innocent Days" - Rich Dworsky
- 01:55:19 - Credits, "Amazing Grace" - Angela Brown, GK, band
Listen to individual segments as listed below
Need help listening to the audio? See how to listen.
Lovingly selected from the earliest archives of A Prairie Home Companion, this heirloom collection represents the music from earliest years of the now legendary show: 1974–1976. With songs and tunes from jazz pianist Butch Thompson, mandolin maestro Peter Ostroushko, Dakota Dave Hull and the first house band, The Powdermilk Biscuit Band (Adam Granger, Bob Douglas and Mary DuShane).