This week on A Prairie Home Companion, we're broadcasting live from the Fitzgerald Theater in snowy downtown St. Paul, Minnesota. Special guest Rosanne Cash will be a conduit of country music heritage, articulating the classics in her own stunning voice. Singer-songwriter Heather Masse will add a touch of jazz, and also with us, The Royal Academy of Actors: Tim Russell, Sue Scott, sound effects man Tom Keith, and The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band, plus the very latest news from Lake Wobegon.
- 00:00:00 - Logo
- 00:00:13 - Tishomingo Blues
- 00:02:54 - GK opens, talks about snow shoveling before leaf raking
- 00:04:15 - Beautiful Dreamer/ Attics of My Life- GK, Heather Masse, Guy's All-Star Shoe Band and strings
- 00:09:54 - Guy Noir script into "Moonlight Bay"- Heather Masse, GK, Guy's All-Star Shoe Band and strings
- 00:27:07 - GK intros Heather Masse
- 00:28:18 - How Deep is the Ocean?- Heather Masse with Guy's All-Star Shoe Band and strings
- 00:31:47 - Powdermilk Biscuit Break
Listen to individual segments as listed below
- 00:33:55 - Gamblin' Blues- Pat Donohue and Guy's All-Star Shoe Band with Dave Berg
- 00:37:04 - Schubert script (with 'Die Forelle')
- 00:49:57 - GK intros Rosanne Cash
- 00:50:56 - I'm Movin' On- Rosanne Cash
- 00:54:58 - Sea of Heartbreak- Rosanne Cash and John Levanthal
- 00:59:00 - GK talks with Rosanne Cash about "The List"
- 01:00:15 - Miss the Mississippi – Rosanne Cash
- 01:03:43 - Intermission- Everybody Loves My Baby
- 01:08:17 - Welcome Back to the 2nd half, Greetings
- 01:11:35 - How Can I Keep From Singing- GK, Heather, strings, Guy's All-Star Shoe Band
- 01:15:16 - Sonnets: "Supper", "Ulysses", "Christine"- GK, Rich Dworsky and strings
- 01:21:05 - Girl From the North Country- Rosanne Cash
- 01:25:33 - Radio script
- 01:28:05 - GK talks with Heather Masse
- 01:29:36 - Next Time- Heather Masse, Richard Dworsky and strings
- 01:33:52 - News From Lake Wobegon
- 01:46:06 - The Road to Kingdom Come- Pat Donohue, Guy's All-Star Shoe Band, Strings
- 01:49:30 - GK talks to Rosanne Cash
- 01:50:25 - Long Black Veil- Rosanne Cash
- 01:54:10 - Credits
- 01:55:44 - What'll I Do?- GK, Heather Masse, Guy's All-Star Shoe Band, Strings
Need help listening to the audio? See how to listen.
Lovingly selected from the earliest archives of A Prairie Home Companion, this heirloom collection represents the music from earliest years of the now legendary show: 1974–1976. With songs and tunes from jazz pianist Butch Thompson, mandolin maestro Peter Ostroushko, Dakota Dave Hull and the first house band, The Powdermilk Biscuit Band (Adam Granger, Bob Douglas and Mary DuShane).