No Mercy in Jersey
This week on A Prairie Home Companion, live from the New Jersey Performing Arts Center in Newark, it's our 10th annual Talent Tee-Off. Five lucky bands will get their shot at national bragging rights and the coveted Silver Water Tower trophy, based purely on listener response both inside the venue and live on the Internet (Remember, if your local public radio station delays our live show, you'll need to listen live and vote here on prairiehome.org to participate). Also with us, sure-fire palate cleansers, Vince Giordano and the Nighthawks, Prairie Home Music Director Richard Dworsky, the Royal Academy of Radio Actors; Tim Russell, Sue Scott, Fred Newman, and the latest News from Lake Wobegon.
- 00:00:00 - Logo
- 00:00:12 - Tishomingo Blues, GK opens, explains online voting
- 00:04:44 - GK talks about dancing, how it has changed over the years
- 00:06:21 - GK intros Bumblin' and Stumblin'
- 00:07:34 - Musta Done Somebody Wrong- Bumblin' and Stumblin'
- 00:11:28 - GK talks with Bumblin' and Stumblin'
- 00:12:12 - Matchbox Blues- Bumblin' and Stumblin'
- 00:15:44 - Chowhound script
- 00:18:35 - GK intros The Monarques
- 00:19:23 - Angel Eyes- Monarques
- 00:22:37 - GK talks with Monarques
- 00:24:37 - I Won't Cry- Monarques
- 00:27:55 - Powdermilk Biscuit Break- Richard Dworsky, Vince Giordano and The Nighthawks
- 00:29:20 - GK intros Karl Stoll and The Danger Zone
- 00:30:24 - There's Something About You- Karl Stoll and The Danger Zone
- 00:33:46 - Cadillac- Karl Stoll and The Danger Zone
- 00:37:39 - GK intros April Smith and the Great Picture Show
- 00:38:55 - Movie Loves a Screen- April Smith and the Great Picture Show
- 00:41:37 - GK talks with April Smith
- 00:43:30 - Colors- April Smith and the Great Picture Show
- 00:46:36 - Rhubarb script
- 00:50:23 - GK intros Mudbugs Cajun and Zydeco Band
- 00:51:20 - We Make a Good Gumbo- Mudbugs Cajun and Zydeco Band
- 00:54:35 - GK talks with the Mudbugs
- 00:55:48 - Je Suis Fait Fier Du Toi- Mudbugs Cajun and Zydeco Band
- 00:59:26 - Contestant Medley- GK and all contestants
- 01:03:12 - Intermission- 42nd Street (Vince Giordano's Nighthawks)
- 01:07:40 - Welcome Back to the 2nd Half, GK announces voting
- 01:07:51 - Vince script
- 01:17:35 - Greetings
- 01:20:17 - Hoboken- GK and Rich Dworsky
- 01:24:45 - Guy Noir script
- 01:38:07 - News From Lake Wobegon
- 01:42:14 - GK announces the Ray Marklund award to Monarques
- 01:43:36 - GK announces 2nd place to The Mudbugs Cajun and Zydeco Band
- 01:45:18 - I'm on Fire- Mudbugs Cajun and Zydeco Band
- 01:48:27 - GK announces 1st place winners: April Smith and the Great Picture Show
- 01:49:20 - Wow and Flutter- April Smith and the Great Picture Show
- 01:53:04 - Credits, Goodnight Ladies/ Bye Bye Love/ Bye Bye Blackbird/ Red River Valley
Listen to individual segments as listed below
Need help listening to the audio? See how to listen.
Lovingly selected from the earliest archives of A Prairie Home Companion, this heirloom collection represents the music from earliest years of the now legendary show: 1974–1976. With songs and tunes from jazz pianist Butch Thompson, mandolin maestro Peter Ostroushko, Dakota Dave Hull and the first house band, The Powdermilk Biscuit Band (Adam Granger, Bob Douglas and Mary DuShane).