The Great American Get Together
This week on A Prairie Home Companion, it looks like our 1969 Airstream 27' Land Yacht will make it back after all from the first leg of the Summer Love Tour, and directly into overflow parking for our annual live Grandstand show at The Minnesota State Fair. With special guests, California singer-songwriter and fiddler Sara Watkins, Minnesota's perennial blue-ribbon sisters of Soul Jearlyn and Jevetta Steele, plus the magnificent Anoka High School Marching Band. Also with us, The Royal Academy of Radio Actors; Tim Russell, Sue Scott, Tom Keith, and Fred Newman, The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band with Richard Dworsky, and the latest News from Lake Wobegon.
- 00:00:00 - Tishomingo Blues, GK opens
- 00:03:07 - Open Script
- 00:07:25 - Swing Down Chariot- Jearlyn Steele, Jevetta Steele, Garrison Keillor, Sara Watkins and The Guy’s All-Star Shoe Band
- 00:10:22 - Loon script
- 00:14:34 - Driving With the Top Down/ Your Mama Don’t Dance- GK, band
- 00:19:45 - The Lives of the Cowboys script
- 00:28:37 - Powdermilk Biscuit Break
- 00:30:15 - GK intros the Anoka High School Marching Tornadoes
- 00:32:38 - GK sings the fight song with Anoka High School Marching Band
- 00:36:50 - Danse Macabre- Anoka High School Marching Tornadoes
- 00:39:50 - Fiddle Medley- Sara Watkins, Richard Kriehn and band
- 00:43:10 - SFX script
- 00:49:02 - If I Can’t Have You- Jearlyn and Jevetta
- 00:52:07 - GK and Sara talk about the ukulele, “Anthony”
- 00:54:25 - Guy Noir script
Listen to individual segments as listed below
- 01:04:34 - Intermission, Hey Good Lookin'
- 01:07:35 - Welcome Back to the 2nd Half, GK talks about fair food
- 01:09:25 - GK intros the 1st place Duet singers- Page Burkum and Jack Torrey of The Cactus Blossoms
- 01:14:50 - Unchained Melody- GK, Sara, band
- 01:18:00 - GK introduces Bill Berg, auctioneer
- 01:24:12 - Wildlife script
- 01:31:04 - GK talks with Jearlyn and Jevetta
- 01:31:52 - Slow Twist/ Oh Baby
- 01:35:10 - I’ll Be Home- Sara Watkins and Shoes
- 01:38:20 - The News From Lake Wobegon
- 01:50:00 - Tilt A Whirl Waltz- The Guy’s All-Star Shoe Band
- 01:52:15 - Catchup script
- 01:55:40 - Credits, Swing Down Sweet Chariot, fireworks
Need help listening to the audio? See how to listen.
Lovingly selected from the earliest archives of A Prairie Home Companion, this heirloom collection represents the music from earliest years of the now legendary show: 1974–1976. With songs and tunes from jazz pianist Butch Thompson, mandolin maestro Peter Ostroushko, Dakota Dave Hull and the first house band, The Powdermilk Biscuit Band (Adam Granger, Bob Douglas and Mary DuShane).