A Mumble in the Bronx
Live from the Town Hall in New York City this week, a live broadcast performance of A Prairie Home Companion. With special guests, poet emeritus of the known universe; Billy Collins, Broadway bandleader Rob Fisher with cornerstone of the jazz keyboard Dick Hyman, and The DiGiallonardo Sisters. Also with us, the Royal Academy of Radio Actors; Tim Russell, Sue Scott, and Fred Newman, Rich Dworsky and The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band, and vocalist Heather Masse.
Audio available Sundays at noon.
- 00:00:00 Logo
- 00:00:13 Tishomingo Blues
- 00:02:30 GK opens, "Minnesota" script with the DiGiallornardo Sisters
- 00:05:15 Christmas at the Airport - Pat Donohue and Guy's All-Star Shoe Band
- 00:08:07 Clothes script with Heather Masse
- 00:10:30 Snowman script
- 00:20:50 GK intros the DiGiallornardo Sisters
- 00:21:40 Shout, Sister, Shout - The DiGiallornardo Sisters and Rob Fisher with band
- 00:25:20 GK talks with the sisters
- 00:26:35 Tu Scendi Dalle Stelle - The DiGiallornardo Sisters and Rob Fisher
- 00:29:20 Powdermilk Biscuit Break
- 00:30:55 GK intros Rob Fisher and Dick Hyman
- 00:32:01 Relax jingle - The DiGiallornardo Sisters and Dick Hyman
- 00:32:34 Jingles - Dick Hyman and Rob Fisher
- 00:37:05 Emily script
- 00:43:10 GK talks with Billy Collins
- 00:44:10 Billy recites "Snow Day", "Tension", "Oh My God"
- 00:51:00 Scufflin' - Shoe Band
- 00:52:00 Radio script with Billy Collins
- 00:59:32 Blackbird - Dick Hyman, solo piano
- 01:04:10 Intermission - Dr. Jazz
- 01:07:38 Greetings
- 01:11:30 GK talks about Midwesterners in New York
- 01:12:17 His Eye is on the Pigeon - GK, Heather Masse and the DiGiallornardo Sisters
- 01:15:48 And Your Dream Comes True - the DiGiallornardo Sisters
- 01:17:02 Guy Noir script, with Billy Collins
- 01:28:45 GK talks with Heather Masse
- 01:29:40 I Got it Bad (And That Ain't Good) - Heather Masse and Dick Hyman
- 01:33:50 News From Lake Wobegon
- 01:43:00 Dizzy Fingers - Dick Hyman and Rob Fisher
- 01:45:23 Duct Tape script
- 01:48:43 Billy Collins recites "Horoscopes For the Dead"
- 01:52:30 Credits, GK talks with Dick Hyman and guests
- 01:55:32 The Glory of Love/ So Fine - GK, Heather Masse, DiGiallornardo Sisters and Shoe band
Listen to individual segments as listed below. Times may be edited for broadcast.
Need help listening to the audio? See how to listen.
Lovingly selected from the earliest archives of A Prairie Home Companion, this heirloom collection represents the music from earliest years of the now legendary show: 1974–1976. With songs and tunes from jazz pianist Butch Thompson, mandolin maestro Peter Ostroushko, Dakota Dave Hull and the first house band, The Powdermilk Biscuit Band (Adam Granger, Bob Douglas and Mary DuShane).