It Takes Two to Make an Accident
This week on A Prairie Home Companion, we're back home at the Fitzgerald Theater in St. Paul, Minnesota, with our favorite Doris Day gumdrop, Nellie McKay, plus a tune for 4 (count 'em 4!) fiddles for the new year with Deena and Sedra Bistodeau, Catie Jo Pidel, and Richard Kriehn. With the Royal Academy of Radio Acting; Tim Russell, Sue Scott, Tom Keith, and Rich Dworsky and the Guy's All-Star Shoe Band. Plus, the ice fishing has begun in Lake Wobegon and our favorite cranky gumshoe is back on the slippery streets of Good Ol' St. Paul.
Audio available Sundays at noon.
- 00:00:00 Logo
- 00:00:14 "Tishomingo Blues"
- 00:03:00 GK talks about the cold, ice, how beautiful it all is
- 00:05:00 GK intros Bob Douglas
- 00:05:15 "Log Cabin Home in the Sky" - GK, Bob Douglas and band
- 00:08:36 Ketchup script
- 00:12:34 Drama script
- 00:19:54 GK talks about the Battle of New Orleans, 8th of January
- 00:21:00 Eighth of January fiddle medley - Richard Kriehn, Catie Jo Pidel, Deena Bistodeau, Sedra Bistodeau with Shoe Band
- 00:26:21 GK talks to Bob Douglas
- 00:26:43 "I'm Just Here to Get My Baby Out Of Jail" - GK, Bob Douglas and Shoe Band
- 00:30:24 Powdermilk Biscuit Break with Catie Jo, Deena and Sedra
- 00:32:54 Rhubarb script
- 00:37:16 GK introduces next tune, talks to Rich about when the actual new decade starts
- 00:38:29 "The New Decade Rag" - Rich Dworsky and the Guy's All-Star Shoe Band
- 00:40:47 GK talks with Nellie McKay
- 00:43:23 "Caribbean Time" - Nellie McKay and Shoe Band
- 00:47:33 "Midnight Sun" - Nellie McKay and Shoe Band
- 00:51:25 Wildlife script
- 00:57:17 "Easy Rider" - GK and Bob Douglas and Shoe Band
- 01:02:30 Intermission - "I Saw Her Standing There"
- 01:06:00 Greetings
- 01:08:33 "Leaving Home" - GK/ Bob Douglas/ band
- 01:11:44 GK talks to the fiddlers
- 01:14:13 Fiddle Medley: Turkey in the Straw/ Bill Cheatham/ Whiskey Before Breakfast - Richard Kriehn, Catie Jo, Deena and Sedra with band
- 01:17:12 Ruth script
- 01:24:09 GK talks with Nellie McKay
- 01:24:57 "Beneath the Underdog" - Nellie McKay and The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band
- 01:29:18 "Coosada Blues" - Nellie McKay and The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band
- 01:32:58 News From Lake Wobegon
- 01:49:43 "Hearth and Home" - Richard Dworsky with Gary Raynor and Richard Kriehn
- 01:52:00 Evelyn script
- 01:54:04 Credits, "Goodnight Ladies", "Whiskey Before Breakfast"
Listen to individual segments as listed below. Times may be edited for broadcast.
Need help listening to the audio? See how to listen.
Lovingly selected from the earliest archives of A Prairie Home Companion, this heirloom collection represents the music from earliest years of the now legendary show: 1974–1976. With songs and tunes from jazz pianist Butch Thompson, mandolin maestro Peter Ostroushko, Dakota Dave Hull and the first house band, The Powdermilk Biscuit Band (Adam Granger, Bob Douglas and Mary DuShane).