Hey, Let's Give The Kid A Chance
The last time anyone can remember our host taking a break from his lifelong duty to radio hosting, Gerald Ford was President. This Saturday, he's going to sit back and relax while Sara Watkins intros the guests, cracks the jokes and plays a little string music all her own. With special guests, claw hammer-banjo jammer Abigail Washburn, and American musical storyteller Tom Brosseau, expect Guy Noir, the deep winter News from Lake Wobegon, and the Royal Academy of Radio Actors; Tim Russell, Sue Scott, and Tom Keith. So fear not, the youngster comes with her fiddle finely tuned, the greatest band in radio—The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band—and a California tan.
Audio available Sundays at noon.
- 00:00:00 Logo
- 00:00:13 "Tishomingo Blues" - Sara Watkins and The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band
- 00:03:19 Sara opens, SFX
- 00:07:56 "Everybody's Rockin'" - Pat Donohue and The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band
- 00:10:45 "All For Your Love" - Sara Watkins, Sean Watkins and The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band
- 00:12:14 The Lives of the Cowboys script
- 00:19:28 GK intros Abigail Washburn
- 00:19:43 "City of Refuge" - Abigail Washburn
- 00:24:00 Sara talks with Abigail
- 00:26:00 "Bring Me My Queen" - Abigail Washburn
- 00:30:32 Powdermilk Biscuit Break
- 00:32:08 Library script
- 00:34:08 Sara intros Tom Brosseau
- 00:34:28 "Wear and Tear" - Tom Brosseau and Sara Watkins
- 00:37:19 Sara talks with Tom Brosseau
- 00:38:20 "West of Town" - Tom Brosseau
- 00:42:11 News From Lake Wobegon
- 00:55:10 "You and Me" - Sara and Sean with Shoe Band
- 00:57:54 "Polly Put the Kettle On" - Sara Watkins and Sean Watkins
- 00:59:40 "Hold Whatcha Got" - Sara, Sean, Shoes
- 01:02:08 Intermission - "Hey Good Lookin'"
- 01:06:34 Greetings
- 01:09:02 Sub script
- 01:12:34 "Freezin'" - Pat Donohue and band
- 01:15:44 Guy Noir script
- 01:27:10 "Tomorrow is A Long Time" - Sara Watkins and Sean Watkins
- 01:31:29 Winter script
- 01:33:06 "Doc's Guitar" - Pat Donohue
- 01:35:00 "Just To Get Away From You" - Tom Brosseau
- 01:38:00 Ketchup script
- 01:40:56 Abigail Washburn introduces her band
- 01:43:38 "Chains" - Abigail Washburn
- 01:47:53 Sara intros Sean Watkins
- 01:48:16 "Bella and Ivan" - Sara Watkins and Sean Watkins
- 01:50:38 "Wild Side" - Sean Watkins and Sara Watkins
- 01:53:40 Credits, "Jordan Am A Hard Road to Travel"
Listen to individual segments as listed below. Times may be edited for broadcast.
Need help listening to the audio? See how to listen.
Lovingly selected from the earliest archives of A Prairie Home Companion, this heirloom collection represents the music from earliest years of the now legendary show: 1974–1976. With songs and tunes from jazz pianist Butch Thompson, mandolin maestro Peter Ostroushko, Dakota Dave Hull and the first house band, The Powdermilk Biscuit Band (Adam Granger, Bob Douglas and Mary DuShane).