There is a Quiet Spirit
This week on A Prairie Home Companion, just like in the good old days, Tom Keith is driving the 1975 Winnebago with the wobbly stovetop and the ten gallon pot of scalding venison chili, to a live broadcast performance from the Physical Education Center Gym in Morris, Minnesota. With special guests, U of M Morris Concert Choir, fiddle champions Catie Jo Pidel and sisters Deena and Sedra Bistodeau, and master of the singing saw Andy McCormick. Also with us, The Royal Academy of Radio Actors; Tim Russell, Sue Scott, and Tom Keith, The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band, singer Jearlyn Steele, and the latest News from Lake Wobegon.
Audio available Sundays at noon.
- 00:00 Logo
- 00:12 Tishomingo Blues
- 03:05 GK opens, talks about Morris
- 05:00 Just as Long as You Love Me- GK, band, fiddlers
- 07:26 Cherokee Shuffle- Catie Jo Pidel, Deena Bistodeau, Sedra Bistodeau
- 09:42 GK intros the Morris Concert Choir and Jearlyn Steele
- 10:11 Think- Jearlyn Steele and the Morris Concert Choir
- 12:31 Guy Noir script
- 20:50 Tailgater- GK, band, Tom Keith
- 26:36 Muskrat- Pat Donohue, Richard Kriehn and The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band
- 29:18 Powdermilk Biscuit Break
- 32:00 GK talks to Catie Jo, Sedra and Deena
- 33:14 Faded Love- Catie Jo, Sedra, Deena, Richard Kriehn, Andy McCormick
- 35:32 Amazing Grace- Catie Jo, Sedra, Deena, Richard Kriehn, Andy McCormick
- 37:20 Gloria- Morris Concert Choir
- 39:54 GK talks about the Choir with Dr. Ken Hodgson
- 42:09 Blow Ye Winds-Morris Concert Choir (soloists: Deon Haider and Tabitha Morris)
- 47:37 The Lives of the Cowboys script (with Gwen Bitker, Ian Bloomquist, Samantha Bottko and Niko Simmons)
- 1:00:08 Intermission
- 1:03:13 Welcome Back to the Second Half
- 1:03:52 Shall We Gather At The River- GK, Anika Kildegaard and the Morris Choir
- 1:07:00 GK talks about Morris and the University, talks with Matt Privatsky
- 1:14:58 Greetings
- 1:17:08 How Sweet it is (To Be Loved By You)- Jearlyn Steele and men from the choir
- 1:19:19 Mom script
- 1:26:33 Red Haired Boy/ Fire on the Mountain- Catie Jo, Deena, Sedra, Richard Kriehn, The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band
- 1:30:00 Lead Me Gently Home, Father- Jearlyn Steele and choir
- 1:34:13 News From Lake Wobegon
- 1:46:58 Crossing Lake Riley- The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band
- 1:49:33 Saw script with Andy McCormick and band
- 1:52:20 I Believe I Can Fly- Jearlyn Steele and The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band
- 1:55:18 Credits, Twelve Gates to the City
Listen to individual segments as listed below. Times may be edited for broadcast.
Need help listening to the audio? See how to listen.
Lovingly selected from the earliest archives of A Prairie Home Companion, this heirloom collection represents the music from earliest years of the now legendary show: 1974–1976. With songs and tunes from jazz pianist Butch Thompson, mandolin maestro Peter Ostroushko, Dakota Dave Hull and the first house band, The Powdermilk Biscuit Band (Adam Granger, Bob Douglas and Mary DuShane).