Center Of The Known Universe
Coming to you this week from the Town Hall in New York City, a live broadcast performance of A Prairie Home Companion with Garrison Keillor. With special guests, innovative and magical guitar duo, Brazilian-born brothers Sergio and Odair Assad, and up from the Smoky Mountains of Virginia, old friends Robin and Linda Williams. Also with us, the Royal Academy of Radio Acting; Tim Russell, Sue Scott, and SFX man Mr. Fred Newman, maestro Richard Dworsky, a New York celebration of William Shakespeare, and the latest News from Lake Wobegon.
Audio available Sundays at noon.
- 00:00:00 Logo
- 00:00:11 Tishomingo Blues
- 00:02:58 GK talks about Holy Week, DiGiallonardo Sisters sing NCAA sweet sixteen
- 00:04:54 Hello Stranger- GK, Robin and Linda Williams, Rich Dworsky
- 00:08:38 Hold On- DiGiallonardo Sisters
- 00:12:25 GK talks about William Shakespeare, intros Bill Keller
- 00:14:55 Bill Keller reads sonnet 29
- 00:15:52 Kristen Bush reads sonnet 113
- 00:18:54 Ed Koch reads sonnet 73
- 00:22:44 April in New York- Tim Russell (as Mayor Bloomberg) with Richard Dworsky
- 00:23:43 GK intros the Assad Brothers
- 00:25:02 Stone Flower- Assad Brothers
- 00:28:28 Palhaco- Assad Brothers
- 00:33:36 Powdermilk Biscuit Break- GK/ Robin and Linda, Rich Dworsky
- 00:35:28 Guy Noir script
- 00:46:50 Somewhere Out There- The DiGiallonardo Sisters and Richard Dworsky
- 00:50:00 SFX script
- 00:54:16 Liz Lark reads sonnet 43
- 00:57:19 Michael Ramirez reads sonnet 41
- 01:00:00 Joel Grey reads sonnet 56
- 01:03:12 Zita- The Assad Brothers
- 01:05:01 Intermission- I Saw Her Standing There, Richard Dworsky, solo piano
- 01:08:16 Greetings
- 01:11:40 Lord, Listen to Your Children Praying- GK, Robin and Linda Williams, The DiGiallonardo Sisters, Richard Dworsky
- 01:17:28 GK talks about Hazel Dickens, tribute- GK, Robin and Linda Williams, Richard Dworsky
- 01:22:46 Close Your Eyes I'll Be Here in the Morning- Robin and Linda Williams with Richard Dworsky
- 01:27:18 The News From Lake Wobegon
- 01:40:22 Venezuelean Waltz- Assad Brothers
- 01:42:00 Giovanna Del Giacco reads sonnet 57
- 01:44:10 Michael Morrison reads sonnet 37
- 01:45:38 Marina Del Giacco reads sonnet 147
- 01:48:00 GK and Rich talk about Passover, Od Yavo Shalom Aleinu
- 01:52:29 Lawn script
- 01:55:00 Credits, Chapel of Love
Listen to individual segments as listed below. Times may be edited for broadcast.
Need help listening to the audio? See how to listen.
Lovingly selected from the earliest archives of A Prairie Home Companion, this heirloom collection represents the music from earliest years of the now legendary show: 1974–1976. With songs and tunes from jazz pianist Butch Thompson, mandolin maestro Peter Ostroushko, Dakota Dave Hull and the first house band, The Powdermilk Biscuit Band (Adam Granger, Bob Douglas and Mary DuShane).