Arsenal Of Democracy
Coming to you this week from the palatial 1928 movie house, the Fox Theater in Detroit, Michigan, a live broadcast performance of A Prairie Home Companion with Garrison Keillor. With special guests, fiery old-time string band Old Crow Medicine Show, fourth generation farmhouse fiddler Joel Mabus, and singer Andra Suchy. Also with us, the Royal Academy of Radio Acting; Tim Russell, Sue Scott, and Fred Newman, The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band, and the latest News from Lake Wobegon.
Audio available Sundays at noon.
- 00:00:00 Logo
- 00:00:12 Tishomingo Blues
- 00:03:16 GK talks about car manufacturing, Henry Ford
- 00:04:25 Little Deuce Coupe- GK, Andra Suchy, Shoe Band
- 00:09:05 GK recites "The Sacred" by Stephen Dunn and "Mambo Cadillac" by Barbara Hamby
- 00:14:08 Terraplane Blues- Pat Donohue and The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band
- 00:17:10 Mom script
- 00:24:10 My Mother's Eyes- GK, Andra, Shoes
- 00:27:23 GK intros Old Crow Medicine Show
- 00:28:04 Mississippi Saturday Night- Old Crow Medicine Show
- 00:31:42 Powdermilk Biscuit Break
- 00:33:10 GK talks about Detroit
- 00:35:40 Detroit City- GK, Andra, Shoes
- 00:40:25 More Detroit talk, neighborhoods
- 00:43:28 GK intros Joel Mabus
- 00:44:35 The Lights Are On in Michigan- Joel Mabus
- 00:49:11 Guy Noir script
- 01:00:00 Carry Me Back- Old Crow Medicine Show
- 01:03:09 Intermission- Avalon
- 01:06:40 Greetings
- 01:09:12 Amazing Grace- GK, Andra Suchy, band
- 01:13:15 GK talks to Old Crow Medicine Show about their recent train trip
- 01:13:53 Hey Good Lookin' Country Gal- Old Crow Medicine Show
- 01:17:15 Ain't it Enough- Old Crow Medicine Show
- 01:21:41 Rhubarb script
- 01:27:52 GK talks more with Joel Mabus
- 01:28:46 Two Cents Plain- Joel Mabus
- 01:32:00 News From Lake Wobegon
- 01:43:41 Coat of Many Colors- GK, Andra Suchy, Shoe Band
- 01:47:56 Ruth script
- 01:53:30 Chevrolet Man- Old Crow Medicine Show
- 01:54:44 Credits, My Mother's Eyes reprise
Listen to individual segments as listed below. Times may be edited for broadcast.
Need help listening to the audio? See how to listen.
Lovingly selected from the earliest archives of A Prairie Home Companion, this heirloom collection represents the music from earliest years of the now legendary show: 1974–1976. With songs and tunes from jazz pianist Butch Thompson, mandolin maestro Peter Ostroushko, Dakota Dave Hull and the first house band, The Powdermilk Biscuit Band (Adam Granger, Bob Douglas and Mary DuShane).