Like Sand Through The Hourglass
Coming to you this week from the State Theater in downtown Minneapolis, Minnesota. With special guests, Tulsa bluesman extraordinaire, Elvin Bishop, the magical Concordia University Handbell Ensemble, and the Women's Vocal Ensemble of the St. Olaf Choir. Also with us, the Royal Academy of Radio Actors; Tim Russell, Sue Scott, and Tom Keith, The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band, Gospel vocalist supreme Jearlyn Steele, and the latest News from Lake Wobegon.
Audio available Sundays at noon.
- 00:00:00 Logo
- 00:00:13 Tishomingo Blues
- 00:03:03 Open script
- 00:07:05 GK talks about last night in Minneapolis, sites, bikes
- 00:09:33 Spring song- GK and band
- 00:12:28 Bwana Asifiwe (Praise the Lord)- Concordia Handbell Choir
- 00:15:30 Marie Tonight- Pat Donohue and The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band
- 00:17:52 The Lives of the Cowboys script
- 00:26:13 GK intros Elvin Bishop
- 00:27:23 Calling All Cows- Elvin Bishop with Bob Welsh and band
- 00:31:45 Powdermilk Biscuit Break
- 00:34:40 Wang Dang Doodle- Jearlyn Steele and Shoe Band and Elvin Bishop
- 00:38:08 Guy Noir script
- 00:51:30 Al's Breakfast script
- 00:52:28 Elvin Bishop intros his musicians
- 00:53:00 River's Invitation- Finis Tasby with Elvin Bishop, Bob Welsh and The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band
- 00:57:11 Fishin' Again- Elvin Bishop with Bob Welsh and band
- 01:00:54 GK talks about fishing opener
- 01:01:30 Exactly Like You- Intermission
- 01:05:00 Greetings, GK talks with St. Olaf singers
- 01:10:37 Tonight You Belong to Me- St. Olaf Singers
- 01:13:35 They Can't Take That Away From Me- GK and St. Olaf singers
- 01:16:30 Rhubarb script
- 01:23:15 It is No Secret- GK and Jearlyn Steele, band
- 01:28:50 Wild Mountain Thyme- St. Olaf Singers with Pat Donohue
- 01:31:35 News From Lake Wobegon
- 01:41:28 For the Beauty of the Earth-Concordia Bell Choir and St. Olaf Singers
- 01:45:40 Wildlife script
- 01:51:48 Down in Virgina- Finis Tasby with Elvin Bishop, Bob Welsh and Shoes
- 01:56:00 Credits, Down to the River to Pray
Listen to individual segments as listed below. Times may be edited for broadcast.
Need help listening to the audio? See how to listen.
Lovingly selected from the earliest archives of A Prairie Home Companion, this heirloom collection represents the music from earliest years of the now legendary show: 1974–1976. With songs and tunes from jazz pianist Butch Thompson, mandolin maestro Peter Ostroushko, Dakota Dave Hull and the first house band, The Powdermilk Biscuit Band (Adam Granger, Bob Douglas and Mary DuShane).