A NIGHT AT THE FAIR
This week on A Prairie Home Companion, the aroma of deep-fried foods calls us back from the first leg of the Summer Love Tour for our annual Grandstand show at the Minnesota State Fair. With special guests, Minneapolis twang-rock heroes The Jayhawks, and singer-songwriter-fiddler Sara Watkins. Also with us, fresh from the rides of the Mighty Midway, The Royal Academy of Radio Actors; Tim Russell, Sue Scott, Tom Keith, and Fred Newman. All this, plus giant summer squash champions The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band with Richard Dworsky, and of course, the latest News from Lake Wobegon.
Audio available Sundays at noon.
- 00:00:00 APHC Logo Open
- 00:00:11 Tishomingo Blues
- 00:02:54 "It Is So Beautiful (State Fair)," GK and The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band
- 00:05:43 "Back in the Day," GK and Shoes
- 00:10:22 "State Fair Blues," Pat Donohue
- 00:12:36 GK Intros/ Talks with Chicken Judges (Hawkon Vaadeland and Dwayne Urch)
- 00:18:13 GK Intros Jayhawks
- 00:18:37 "Closer to Your Side" and "She Walks in So Many Ways," The Jayhawks
- 00:25:29 Powdermilk Biscuit Break
- 00:27:00 The Lives of the Cowboys
- 00:35:45 Fiddle Medley, Sara Watkins, Richard Kriehn and Shoes
- 00:39:05 GK Intros/ Talks with Butter Sculptor (Linda Christensen)
- 00:42:54 "Love in Vain/ State Fair Blues," GK and Shoes
- 00:46:18 GK talks about The Jayhawks
- 00:47:23 "Blue," The Jayhawks
- 00:50:43 Guy Noir
- 01:03:15 GK Intermission Credits ("Joyride," The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band)
- 01:06:37 GK Welcome Back/ Greetings
- 01:09:24 "Let It Be Me," GK and Sara Watkins with Shoes
- 01:12:28 "I'll Be Your Baby Tonight/ If Not For You," GK and Sara Watkins with Shoes
- 01:16:48 GK Intros/ Talks with Blue Ribbon Judges re: Fair Food (Jean Wolf, Lola Whalen, Dorothy Jones)
- 01:25:11 Hamlet
- 01:30:07 GK talks more about The Jayhawks
- 01:30:48 "Over My Shoulder," The Jayhawks
- 01:34:37 The News From Lake Wobegon
- 01:51:46 "Lost My Dear Child," GK and Sara Watkins with Shoes
- 01:55:40 GK Credits/ Allianz Welcome
- 01:57:49 "Red River Valley" Closer
Listen to individual segments as listed below. Times may be edited for broadcast.
Need help listening to the audio? See how to listen.
Lovingly selected from the earliest archives of A Prairie Home Companion, this heirloom collection represents the music from earliest years of the now legendary show: 1974–1976. With songs and tunes from jazz pianist Butch Thompson, mandolin maestro Peter Ostroushko, Dakota Dave Hull and the first house band, The Powdermilk Biscuit Band (Adam Granger, Bob Douglas and Mary DuShane).