This week on A Prairie Home Companion, it's a back-to-school bumper crop featuring bits and pieces from the Universities of Michigan, South Dakota, Minnesota and Purdue. Jerry Douglas plays the "Emphysema Two Step," The Purdue Glee Club sings from the LaFayette phone book, Becky Schlegel sings Greg Brown's song "Early," and Robert Sonkowsky—Latin professor from the University of Minnesota—recites a bit of Horace. Plus, Bella Hristova plays Kreisler, and in the Lives of the Cowboys, Lefty sits in on a class at Winona State. It's the last of the summer compilation programs before the 2011-2012 Season Opener next week, live from The Fitzgerald Theater.
Audio available Sundays at noon.
- 00:00:00 APHC Logo Open
- 00:00:11 Tishomingo Blues
- 00:00:55 GK Intro
- 00:02:24 "Dancing in Lansing," GK and Shoes, INTO "Michigan State fight Song," Shoes, INTO "The Red Coat," Battlefield Band (11/26/05, MSU)
- 00:06:13 GK talks with Sean O'Donnell (11/26/05, MSU)
- 00:06:52 "I'm Going to Set You Free," Sean O'Donnell (11/26/05, MSU)
- 00:09:56 Guy Noir script re: Baptist Univ. (10/3/09)
- 00:23:39 "Cat You'd Better Come Home," GK and Jearlyn Steele
- 00:29:02 Powdermilk Biscuit Break (11/26/05)
- 00:31:15 GK Powdermilk Outro
- 00:31:30 "West Lafayette (Railroad Bill)," GK and PD (1/28/06, Purdue)
- 00:35:15 "Emphysema Two Step," The Jerry Douglas Band (1/28/06, Purdue)
- 00:38:53 GK talks about Purdue, INTO SFX script (1/28/06, Purdue)
- 00:43:48 Purdue Glee Club sings "Hail! Purdue," "Ambien," "Lafayette Phone Book," and "Stout-Hearted Men (1/28/06, Purdue)
- 00:52:45 Ruth H. script (1/28/06, Purdue)
- 00:58:52 GK Intermission Credits
- 01:02:48 GK Welcome Back
- 01:03:27 "Early," GK and Becky Schlegel (4/29/06; USD)
- 01:06:55 Cowboys script with Simone Perrin (2/23/08, Winona State U)
- 01:16:59 GK Mono Intro
- 01:17:20 "University Stomp," Andy and Shoes (1/21/06, UofM)
- 01:20:20 U of M script
- 01:24:34 "You Ain't Goin' Nowhere," Prudence Johnson, GK and Shoes
- 01:26:48 GK talks about Latin teacher
- 01:27:39 Robert Sonkowsky recites a poem by Horace in Latin
- 01:29:14 Kreisler's "Recitative and Scherzo," Bella Hristova (1/14/06, UofM)
- 01:33:59 News From Lake Wobegon with Radio script and "Oh Mary," Hopefuls (with Carol Elizabeth Jones) (1/21/06, UofM)
- 01:55:10 GK Credits
- 01:56:19 "College Blues," PD (1/21/06, UofM)
Listen to individual segments as listed below. Times may be edited for broadcast.
Need help listening to the audio? See how to listen.
Lovingly selected from the earliest archives of A Prairie Home Companion, this heirloom collection represents the music from earliest years of the now legendary show: 1974–1976. With songs and tunes from jazz pianist Butch Thompson, mandolin maestro Peter Ostroushko, Dakota Dave Hull and the first house band, The Powdermilk Biscuit Band (Adam Granger, Bob Douglas and Mary DuShane).