DOWN BY THIS RIVER
Coming to you live this week from The Fitzgerald Theater, in downtown St. Paul, it's A Prairie Home Companion with Garrison Keillor. With this week's special guests, Author, distinguished Broadway Actor and Academy Award-nominee John Lithgow, acoustic duo Storyhill, and Nashville guitar heavy Steve Wariner. Peter Ostroushko and Butch Thompson sit in with The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band. Plus, the Royal Academy of Radio Actors; Tim Russell, Sue Scott, and Tom Keith, and the latest autumnal update from Lake Wobegon.
Audio available Sundays at noon.
- 00:00:00 Logo
- 00:00:13 Tishomingo Blues - GK and Shoe Band
- 00:02:46 GK Opens
- 00:04:55 It Is So Beautiful - GK and Richard Dworsky
- 00:07:55 Papa's on the Housetop - Pat Donohue and Shoe Band with Steve Wariner
- 00:12:13 Cowboys Script
- 00:22:54 Blazing - Storyhill (GK intros)
- 00:27:54 Avalon - Storyhill
- 00:32:15 Powdermilk Biscuit Break
- 00:33:46 Sails - Steve Wariner (GK intros)
- 00:38:26 GK talks to Steve Wariner
- 00:40:15 I'm Already Taken - Steve Wariner
- 00:43:35 Beneath Oklahoma Soil - Peter Ostroushko, Gary Raynor and Richard Dworsky
- 00:46:49 News From Lake Wobegon
- 01:00:28 Caravan - Butch Thompson and Shoe Band
- 01:03:56 Intermission - Lulu's Back In Town
- 01:08:10 Just Wait 'Til Next Year - GK and Shoe Band
- 01:10:58 GK Greetings
- 01:14:26 Will the Circle Be Unbroken - GK, Storyhill, Steve Wariner and Shoe Band
- 01:19:54 GK talk with John Lithgow
- 01:23:32 Diabinho Maluco - Shoe Band
- 01:26:57 Guy Noir Script
- 01:37:10 Chet's Guitar - Steve Wariner with Shoe Band
- 01:40:17 Teacher Script
- 01:46:35 Cover Your Tracks - Storyhill
- 01:50:36 Shakespeare Script
- 01:54:04 Poem Script
- 01:55:10 GK Closes
- 01:56:48 Goodnight Ladies/Cecilia - GK, Storyhill, Steve Wariner and Shoe Band
Listen to individual segments as listed below. Times may be edited for broadcast.
Need help listening to the audio? See how to listen.
Lovingly selected from the earliest archives of A Prairie Home Companion, this heirloom collection represents the music from earliest years of the now legendary show: 1974–1976. With songs and tunes from jazz pianist Butch Thompson, mandolin maestro Peter Ostroushko, Dakota Dave Hull and the first house band, The Powdermilk Biscuit Band (Adam Granger, Bob Douglas and Mary DuShane).