HERE LIES THE STARDUST
This week on A Prairie Home Companion, we're heading north to Duluth, Minnesota for a live broadcast from the DECC Auditorium, and hoping for a blast of real winter weather. With special guests, rocking acoustic pickers Trampled By Turtles, and the magnificent Grand Rapids High School Jazz Ensemble. Also with us, the Royal Academy of Radio Actors; Tim Russell, Sue Scott, and Fred Newman, The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band, and the latest News from Lake Wobegon.
Audio available Sundays at noon.
- 00:00:00 Logo
- 00:00:11 Tishomingo Blues - GK and Shoe Band
- 00:03:10 GK Opens
- 00:03:54 The Owl and the Pussycat - GK and Shoe Band
- 00:07:28 Ten Things to Know Before You Move to Duluth - GK monologue
- 00:10:50 Drop Down Mama - Pat Donohue and Shoe Band
- 00:14:52 Guy Noir Script
- 00:22:35 Victory - Trampled By Turtles
- 00:27:32 Fritz Script
- 00:29:12 Powdermilk Biscuit Break
- 00:30:42 GK intros Grand Rapids High School Jazz Ensemble
- 00:32:00 The Intrepid Fox - Grand Rapids High School Jazz Ensemble
- 00:36:32 Grand Rapids School Song - Grand Rapids High School Jazz Ensemble (GK intros)
- 00:38:55 In the Pines - GK and Shoe Band
- 00:42:40 Three Louis Jenkins Poems: "When It Gets Cold," "Restaurant Overlooking Lake Superior" and "An Ill Wind: Park Point" - GK with Shoe Band
- 00:47:38 Dog Script
- 00:54:00 Alone - Trampled By Turtles (GK intros)
- 00:59:40 Midnight on the Interstate - Trampled By Turtles
- 01:03:58 Intermission - Lover Come Back to Me
- 01:07:52 GK Greetings
- 01:10:52 In the Garden - GK and Shoe Band
- 01:14:08 Early Afternoon Blues - Grand Rapids High School Jazz Ensemble
- 01:18:02 SFX Script
- 01:23:15 Marble Top - Shoe Band
- 01:24:28 Rhubarb Script
- 01:29:55 Farewell at the Corner Store - Shoe Band
- 01:33:30 News From Lake Wobegon
- 01:44:55 Buckdancer's Choice - Shoe Band
- 01:47:00 Wildlife Script
- 01:51:46 Walt Whitman - Trampled By Turtles
- 01:54:56 GK Credits
- 01:57:00 I Shall Be Released - GK, Trampled By Turtles and Shoe Band with live audience
Listen to individual segments as listed below. Times may be edited for broadcast.
Need help listening to the audio? See how to listen.
Lovingly selected from the earliest archives of A Prairie Home Companion, this heirloom collection represents the music from earliest years of the now legendary show: 1974–1976. With songs and tunes from jazz pianist Butch Thompson, mandolin maestro Peter Ostroushko, Dakota Dave Hull and the first house band, The Powdermilk Biscuit Band (Adam Granger, Bob Douglas and Mary DuShane).