Roll On Mississippi
This week on A Prairie Home Companion, it's a live broadcast performance from the State Theatre in Minneapolis, Minnesota. With special guests, cowboy singing idol Pop Wagner, Minnesota folkie Charlie Maguire, and bluesman Tony Glover. Also with us, singing siblings Jearlyn and Jevetta Steele, harmonica legend Howard Levy, flawless flatpicker Dean Magraw, and singer Andra Suchy. All that, plus, the Royal Academy of Radio Actors; Tim Russell and Sue Scott, The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band, and the latest News from Lake Wobegon.
Audio available Sundays at noon.
- 00:00:00 Logo
- 00:00:12 Tishomingo Blues - GK and Shoe Band
- 00:02:30 GK Opens
- 00:05:32 Standing in the Middle of Street - GK and Shoe Band
- 00:10:12 Do Right Woman, Do Right Man - Jearlyn Steele and Jevetta Steele with Shoe Band
- 00:14:18 Guy Noir Script
- 00:26:52 Evil (Is Going On) - Pat Donohue and Shoe Band
- 00:30:16 Powdermilk Biscuit Break
- 00:31:45 Methodist Blues - GK and Shoe Band
- 00:35:50 Scout Script
- 00:42:05 Georgianna - Andra Suchy with Shoe Band
- 00:47:12 Ketchup Script
- 00:50:25 Minneapolis Music Medley - GK, Jearlyn Steele, Jevetta Steele, Andra Suchy, Richard Dworsky, Pat Donohue and Shoe Band
- 00:58:56 Minneap'lis Minnesota - Pat Donohue and Shoe Band
- 01:01:50 Intermission - Blue Skies
- 01:06:12 GK Greetings
- 01:08:30 Cruise Announcement
- 01:09:45 Beautiful - GK and Richard Dworsky
- 01:13:22 Rockin' Robin - Jearlyn Steele and Jevetta Steele with Shoe Band
- 01:16:20 Baltimore to Washington - Tony Glover, Charlie Maguire and Pop Wagner (GK intros)
- 01:21:22 Pastures of Plenty - Tony Glover, Charlie Maguire and Pop Wagner
- 01:26:26 Pig Meat Strut - Dean Magraw and Pat Donohue
- 01:28:58 News From Lake Wobegon
- 01:41:56 A Sleeping Fox - Howard Levy and Shoe Band
- 01:44:50 As Long As I Live - GK and Andra Suchy with Shoe Band
- 01:48:30 Mother Script
- 01:51:05 Stormy Monday - Jearlyn Steele and Jevetta Steele with Shoe Band
- 01:53:00 Bright Morning Stars - GK, Jearlyn Steele, Jevetta Steele and Richard Dworsky
- 01:54:35 GK Credits
- 01:55:55 Stepstone - Tony Glover, Charlie Maguire, Pop Wagner, GK, Jearlyn Steele, Jevetta Steele, Andra Suchy and Shoe Band
Listen to individual segments as listed below. Times may be edited for broadcast.
Need help listening to the audio? See how to listen.
Lovingly selected from the earliest archives of A Prairie Home Companion, this heirloom collection represents the music from earliest years of the now legendary show: 1974–1976. With songs and tunes from jazz pianist Butch Thompson, mandolin maestro Peter Ostroushko, Dakota Dave Hull and the first house band, The Powdermilk Biscuit Band (Adam Granger, Bob Douglas and Mary DuShane).