Diamonds in the Rough
Coming to you this week from the Filene Center at Wolf Trap National Park for the Performing Arts, it's a live broadcast of A Prairie Home Companion. With special guests, slow-burning singer and songwriter Shawn Colvin, wearer of many hats Sara Watkins, and former yurt dweller Heather Masse. Plus, The Royal Academy of Radio Actors; Tim Russell, Sue Scott, and sound effects man Mr. Fred Newman, a trio of horns sits in with The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band, and the latest News from Lake Wobegon.
Audio available Sundays at noon.
- 00:00:00 Logo
- 00:00:12 Tishomingo Blues - GK and Shoe Band
- 00:02:56 GK Opens
- 00:04:20 Under the Boardwalk - Heather Masse, GK, Sara Watkins, Shawn Colvin and Shoe Band
- 00:07:02 Memphis, Tennessee (Washington D.C.) - Pat Donohue, GK and Shoe Band
- 00:11:06 SFX Script
- 00:15:44 Pass Me Not, O Gentle Savior - GK, Richard Dworsky, Pat Donohue, Richard Kriehn, Gary Raynor and Peter Johnson
- 00:18:42 Commencement Script
- 00:26:05 You and Me - Sara Watkins with Sean Watkins, Mark Schatz, Richard Dworsky, Pat Donohue, Richard Kriehn and Peter Johnson
- 00:30:36 Powdermilk Biscuit Break - GK and Shoe Band
- 00:32:18 America (My Country 'Tis of Thee) - GK, Heather Masse and Shoe Band
- 00:35:48 GK talks about Virginia and Washington D.C.
- 00:39:22 Lorena - GK, Richard Dworsky, Pat Donohue, Richard Kriehn, Gary Raynor and Peter Johnson
- 00:43:36 Diamond in the Rough - Shawn Colvin (GK intros)
- 00:48:36 Hold On - Shawn Colvin with Heather Masse and Sara Watkins
- 00:53:20 Guy Noir Script
- 01:01:55 Take Up Your Spade - Sara Watkins with Sean Watkins, Mark Schatz, Heather Masse, Richard Dworsky, Pat Donohue, Richard Kriehn and Peter Johnson
- 01:05:48 Intermission - Fast Lane Boogie
- 01:10:28 GK Greetings
- 01:18:20 Tell Me Baby - Pat Donohue and Shoe Band
- 01:16:18 Speech Script
- 01:21:15 Over the Mountain - Heather Masse with Sara Watkins and The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band
- 01:26:30 Will You Miss Me When I'm Gone - GK, Heather Masse, Sara Watkins, Richard Dworsky, Pat Donohue, Richard Kriehn and Peter Johnson with live audience
- 01:29:46 Change is On the Way - Shawn Colvin
- 01:33:38 News From Lake Wobegon
- 01:44:40 Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay - Heather Masse with Sara Watkins and Shoe Band
- 01:47:45 Wolf Script
- 01:51:12 GK Credits
- 01:53:00 Ketchup Song
- 01:53:28 Battle Hymn of the Republic/ Under the Boardwalk/ Blackberry Blossom - GK, Heather Masse, Garrison Keillor, Sara Watkins, Shawn Colvin, Richard Kriehn and The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band with live audience
Listen to individual segments as listed below. Times may be edited for broadcast.
Need help listening to the audio? See how to listen.
Lovingly selected from the earliest archives of A Prairie Home Companion, this heirloom collection represents the music from earliest years of the now legendary show: 1974–1976. With songs and tunes from jazz pianist Butch Thompson, mandolin maestro Peter Ostroushko, Dakota Dave Hull and the first house band, The Powdermilk Biscuit Band (Adam Granger, Bob Douglas and Mary DuShane).