Fever in the South
Coming to you this week from the Koka Booth Amphitheatre in Cary, North Carolina, it's a live broadcast performance of A Prairie Home Companion with Garrison Keillor. With special guests, old-time string band Big Medicine, flatpicker Adam Granger and fiddler Anni Spring, good friends Robin and Linda Williams, and transcendent vocalists Aoife O'Donovan and Heather Masse. Also with us, the Royal Academy of Radio Actors; Sue Scott, Tim Russell, and Fred Newman, The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band, and the latest News from Lake Wobegon.
"Commencement" (from the 5/26/2012 broadcast)
Audio available Sundays at noon.
- 00:00:00 Logo
- 00:00:14 Tishomingo Blues - GK and Shoe Band
- 00:03:18 Carolina Moon - GK, Heather Masse, Aoife O'Donovan and Richard Dworsky
- 00:04:35 Open Script
- 00:09:35 Wild Bill Jones - Big Medicine
- 00:12:50 Keep on Truckin' (Truckin' My Blues Away) - Pat Donohue and Shoe Band
- 00:16:36 Carolina Sunshine Girl - Robin and Linda Williams with Shoe Band
- 00:20:36 Post Office Script
- 00:22:10 Cluck Old Hen - Adam Granger and Anni Spring with Peter Johnson
- 00:24:52 Cowboys Script
- 00:33:08 Powdermilk Biscuit Break/ Turn Your Radio On - GK, Robin and Linda Williams, Aoife O'Donovan, Heather Masse and Shoe Band
- 00:35:38 The Ace - GK, Joe Newberry, Adam Granger and Shoe Band (GK intros)
- 00:39:44 Limericks - GK, Big Medicine and Richard Dworsky
- 00:43:50 Red & White & Blue & Gold - Aoife O'Donovan and Heather Masse with Shoe Band (GK intros)
- 00:48:40 Guy Noir Script
- 00:56:52 Doc Watson Tribute Medley - GK, Big Medicine, Robin and Linda Williams, Heather Masse, Aoife O'Donovan, Pat Donohue, Richard Dworsky and The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band
- 01:04:08 Intermission - City of New Orleans
- 01:08:30 GK Greetings
- 01:11:45 For Better or Worse - Robin and Linda Williams with Shoe Band
- 01:15:40 GK talks about North Carolina
- 01:19:16 Cool Script
- 01:23:12 Finseth's Waltz - Adam Granger and Anni Spring (GK intros)
- 01:27:45 Orphan Girl - Heather Masse and Aoife O'Donovan with Shoe Band
- 01:31:30 What Does the Lonesome Dove Say? - Big Medicine
- 01:35:06 News From Lake Wobegon
- 01:49:55 These Old Dark Hills - Robin and Linda with Shoe Band
- 01:53:34 GK Credits
- 01:55:12 Closing Medley - GK, Big Medicine, Robin and Linda Williams, Heather Masse, Aoife O'Donovan, Adam Granger, Anni Spring and The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band
Listen to individual segments as listed below. Times may be edited for broadcast.
Need help listening to the audio? See how to listen.
Lovingly selected from the earliest archives of A Prairie Home Companion, this heirloom collection represents the music from earliest years of the now legendary show: 1974–1976. With songs and tunes from jazz pianist Butch Thompson, mandolin maestro Peter Ostroushko, Dakota Dave Hull and the first house band, The Powdermilk Biscuit Band (Adam Granger, Bob Douglas and Mary DuShane).