Way Down in the Valley
Coming to you this week from the Cuthbert Amphitheater in Eugene, Oregon, it's a live broadcast of A Prairie Home Companion with Garrison Keillor. With special guests, howling bluesman Elvin Bishop, bluegrass heavyweight Sam Bush, and the feisty instrumentalists of the Portland Cello Project. Plus, the Royal Academy of Radio Actors; Tim Russell, Sue Scott, and Fred Newman, The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band, and the latest News from Lake Wobegon.
Audio available Sundays at noon.
- 00:00:00 Logo
- 00:00:12 Tishomingo Blues - GK and Shoe Band with Sam Bush
- 00:02:35 GK Opens
- 00:04:35 Bo Weevil - Elvin Bishop with Shoe Band and Sam Bush (GK intros)
- 00:09:12 Take Five - Portland Cello Project
- 00:13:00 GK talks about Eugene
- 00:14:40 Cowboys Script
- 00:24:40 When I Was a Cowboy (Western Plain) - Pat Donohue and Shoe Band with Sam Bush
- 00:28:10 Youtube Script
- 00:31:55 Powdermilk Biscuit Break
- 00:33:30 Sanctus - GK and Shoe Band with Sam Bush
- 00:35:50 GK talks about the Coast Starlight
- 00:37:20 That's My Thing - Elvin Bishop with Shoe Band and Sam Bush
- 00:41:45 Limericks - GK and Portland Cello Project (GK intros)
- 00:48:40 Mom Script
- 00:56:02 Freight Train Boogie - Sam Bush with Shoe Band
- 00:59:38 Columbus Stockade Blues - GK and Sam Bush with Shoe Band
- 01:03:18 Intermission - Hard Day's Night
- 01:07:48 GK Greetings
- 01:10:40 Guy Noir Script
- 01:18:18 GK talks about Eugene
- 01:22:00 Super Mario Brothers Theme - Portland Cello Project
- 01:23:45 GK talks with Elvin Bishop
- 01:25:45 Arkansas Line - Elvin Bishop with Shoe Band and Sam Bush
- 01:29:25 News From Lake Wobegon
- 01:42:00 Denmark - Portland Cello Project
- 01:46:20 Rhubarb Script
- 01:50:08 Picasso's Mandolin - Sam Bush with Shoe Band
- 01:54:30 Dad Script
- 01:55:28 GK Credits
- 01:56:58 I'll Fly Away - GK, Sam Bush, Elvin Bishop and Shoe Band
Listen to individual segments as listed below. Times may be edited for broadcast.
Need help listening to the audio? See how to listen.
Lovingly selected from the earliest archives of A Prairie Home Companion, this heirloom collection represents the music from earliest years of the now legendary show: 1974–1976. With songs and tunes from jazz pianist Butch Thompson, mandolin maestro Peter Ostroushko, Dakota Dave Hull and the first house band, The Powdermilk Biscuit Band (Adam Granger, Bob Douglas and Mary DuShane).