Silver Voices Singing
Coming to you this week from the Ravinia Festival in Highland Park, Illinois, it's a live broadcast performance of A Prairie Home Companion with Garrison Keillor. With special guests, mischievous country chanteuse Suzy Bogguss, Dean of the Diatonic Harmonica, Howard Levy, and author and storyteller Jack Zimmerman. Also with us, the Royal Academy of Radio Actors; Sue Scott, Tim Russell, and Fred Newman, and Michael B. Nelson, Kenni Holmen, and Steve Strand sitting in with The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band on trombone, saxophone, and trumpet. All that, plus the latest News from Lake Wobegon.
"Rhubarb" (from the 6/16/2012 broadcast)
Audio available Sundays at noon.
- 00:00:00 Logo
- 00:00:12 Tishomingo Blues/ Goin' to Chicago - GK, Pat Donohue and Shoe Band with Howard Levy
- 00:04:24 GK Opens
- 00:05:18 Beautiful - GK and Richard Dworsky
- 00:07:32 Polly Wolly Doodle (Tuna Fish and Noodles) - GK and Shoe Band with Howard Levy
- 00:10:15 North Side Gal - Pat Donohue and Shoe Band with Howard Levy
- 00:13:02 Guy Noir Script
- 00:24:00 The Evanston Choro - Howard Levy with Shoe Band
- 00:26:46 I Am Weary (Let Me Rest) - GK and Suzy Bogguss with Shoe Band and Howard Levy
- 00:31:25 Powdermilk Biscuit Break/ Rock Island Line - GK, Suzy Bogguss, Howard Levy and Shoe Band
- 00:34:18 GK intros Jack Zimmerman
- 00:35:36 "The Gift" - Jack Zimmerman with Richard Dworsky
- 00:44:38 Blues in Triplicate - Howard Levy with Shoe Band
- 00:47:26 Cowboys Script
- 00:54:48 GK talks with Suzy Bogguss
- 00:56:22 Save Yourself - Suzy Bogguss with Shoe Band and Howard Levy
- 00:59:20 Froggie Went A-Courtin' - GK, Suzy Bogguss and Fred Newman with Shoe Band and Howard Levy (GK intros)
- 01:05:28 Intermission - High Altitude Blues
- 01:08:55 GK Greetings
- 01:12:45 My Old Dad - GK and Richard Dworsky
- 01:15:24 Youtube Script
- 01:20:22 Mighta Coulda - Shoe Band with Howard Levy
- 01:22:48 CTA Script
- 01:25:46 Still Hold On - Suzy Bogguss with Shoe Band and Howard Levy (GK intros)
- 01:30:34 News From Lake Wobegon
- 01:42:20 Salvation - Howard Levy with Shoe Band
- 01:45:02 Ketchup Script
- 01:49:44 GK talks about Ravinia/ My Girl
- 01:53:32 SFX Script
- 01:55:12 GK Credits
- 01:57:00 Goodnight Ladies/ Sweet Home Chicago - GK, Shoe Band and Howard Levy
Listen to individual segments as listed below. Times may be edited for broadcast.
Need help listening to the audio? See how to listen.
Lovingly selected from the earliest archives of A Prairie Home Companion, this heirloom collection represents the music from earliest years of the now legendary show: 1974–1976. With songs and tunes from jazz pianist Butch Thompson, mandolin maestro Peter Ostroushko, Dakota Dave Hull and the first house band, The Powdermilk Biscuit Band (Adam Granger, Bob Douglas and Mary DuShane).