Coming to you this week from The Fitzgerald Theater in downtown Saint Paul, Minnesota, it's the season opener of A Prairie Home Companion with Garrison Keillor, followed by the annual Meatloaf Supper and Street Dance. With special guests, masters of the honky tonk arts, The Derailers, public radio heavyweight Ira Glass, singing sisters of soul-drenched gospel, Jearlyn and Jevetta Steele, and vocalist Holly Jones. Plus, the Royal Academy of Radio Actors; Tim Russell, Sue Scott, and sound effects man Steve Kramer, The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band with the Shoe Band Horns; Michael B. Nelson, Kenni Holmen, and Steve Strand, and the latest News from Lake Wobegon.
Audio available Sundays at noon.
- 00:00:00 Logo
- 00:00:12 Tishomingo Blues
- 00:03:00 GK opens, talks about weather, gorgeous fall, form and structure after summer break
- 00:04:54 Duquesne Whistle- GK and Holly Jones with Shoes
- 00:10:38 Guy Noir script (with Ira Glass)
- 00:24:09 GK talks with Ira Glass about his new movie
- 00:25:18 GK talks with Jearlyn, she is about to be a grandmother
- 00:26:00 Let the Good Times Roll- Jearlyn Steele and Jevetta Steele with Shoes
- 00:29:33 Powdermilk Biscuit Break
- 00:31:23 GK talks with The Derailers
- 00:32:44 She Left Me Cold- The Derailers
- 00:36:28 The Way You Move- The Derailers
- 00:40:07 Cowboys script (with Ira Glass)
- 00:52:41 GK talks with Steele Sisters
- 00:53:45 You're All I Need to Get By- Jearlyn Steele and Jevetta Steele with Shoes
- 00:57:51 GK talks more with Ira Glass
- 01:01:07 Up Around the Bend- GK/ Holly Jones/ Shoes
- 01:03:54 Intermission- Tennessee Tumble
- 01:07:50 Greetings, Duet contest announcement, talk with Holly Jones
- 01:12:55 Too Far Gone- GK, Holly, Shoes
- 01:16:54 Meat Loaf- Pat Donohue and Shoe Band
- 01:20:29 Mom script
- 01:27:12 Careless Love- Pat Donohue, Steve Strand Gary Raynor
- 01:29:09 News from Lake Wobegon
- 01:42:07 Soothe Me- Jearlyn Steele, Jevetta Steele, Shoes
- 01:45:06 SFX script
- 01:49:05 Soldier of Love- The Derailers
- 01:52:10 Café Boeuf script
- 01:55:00 credits, Duquesne Whistle reprise
Listen to individual segments as listed below. Times may be edited for broadcast.
Need help listening to the audio? See how to listen.
Lovingly selected from the earliest archives of A Prairie Home Companion, this heirloom collection represents the music from earliest years of the now legendary show: 1974–1976. With songs and tunes from jazz pianist Butch Thompson, mandolin maestro Peter Ostroushko, Dakota Dave Hull and the first house band, The Powdermilk Biscuit Band (Adam Granger, Bob Douglas and Mary DuShane).