This week on A Prairie Home Companion, it's a live broadcast performance from The Fitzgerald Theater in Saint Paul, Minnesota. With special guests, French-pop girl group Chic Gamine, blues songstress Hilary Thavis, and vocalist Holly Jones. Plus, the Royal Academy of Radio Actors; Tim Russell, Sue Scott, and sound effects man Steve Kramer, Dean Magraw sits in with The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band, and the latest News from Lake Wobegon.
Audio available Sundays at noon.
- 00:00:00 Logo
- 00:00:11 Tishomingo Blues
- 00:02:22 GK talks about fall, clouds, Pew study of religion, "Whispering Hope"
- 00:07:34 The Lives of the Cowboys script
- 00:14:46 (You May Leave But) This'll Bring You Back- Pat Donohue and band
- 00:17:00 Bertha's Kitty Boutique script
- 00:18:56 GK intros Chic Gamine
- 00:19:50 Closer- Chic Gamine
- 00:23:52 GK talks with Chic Gamine
- 00:25:30 Between Now and Then- Chic Gamine
- 00:28:36 Powdermilk Biscuit Break
- 00:30:13 Second Chance script
- 00:32:06 GK intros Hilary Thavis
- 00:33:00 Gimme Some Money- Hilary Thavis
- 00:36:18 Dark Matter- Pat Donohue/ Dean Magraw and band
- 00:38:27 News From Lake Wobegon
- 00:54:08 Payday- Pat Donohue and band
- 00:56:26 When Will I Be Loved- GK, Holly Jones, Chic Gamine and band
- 01:00:34 Intermission- Gee Whiz
- 01:05:02 Greetings, NY Philharmonic concert announcement
- 01:09:27 Paul Simon birthday medley- GK, Holly, Pat, band
- 01:14:54 Dive script
- 01:19:44 Whatever Floats Your Boat- GK, Holly, band
- 01:23:39 Monback Brothers script
- 01:25:26 Back on Track- Shoe Band
- 01:27:14 Blow Blow Thou Winter Wind- GK/ Holly/band
- 01:28:58 What a Wonderful World- Dean Magraw and Pat Donohue with band
- 01:31:45 GK reprises "What a Wonderful World", intros Hilary Thavis
- 01:33:30 Give Me A Break Blues- Hilary Thavis and band
- 01:35:30 Guy Noir script
- 01:45:16 GK brings back Chic Gamine
- 01:46:17 Days and Days- Chic Gamine
- 01:49:48 GK talks with the group
- 01:50:54 Shake Off- Chic Gamine
- 01:55:00 Credits, When Will I Be Loved reprise
Listen to individual segments as listed below. Times may be edited for broadcast.
Need help listening to the audio? See how to listen.
Lovingly selected from the earliest archives of A Prairie Home Companion, this heirloom collection represents the music from earliest years of the now legendary show: 1974–1976. With songs and tunes from jazz pianist Butch Thompson, mandolin maestro Peter Ostroushko, Dakota Dave Hull and the first house band, The Powdermilk Biscuit Band (Adam Granger, Bob Douglas and Mary DuShane).