Cool As Ice Cubes, Sharp As Darts
Coming to you this week from The Town Hall in New York City, it's a live broadcast performance of A Prairie Home Companion with Garrison Keillor. With special guests, masters of many musical moods, The Bacon Brothers, and composer Peter Schickele and the Semi-Pro Musica Antiqua. Also with us, the Royal Academy of Radio Actors; Sue Scott, Tim Russell, Erica Rhodes, and Fred Newman; The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band; and the latest News from Lake Wobegon.
Audio available Sundays at noon.
- 00:00:00 Logo
- 00:00:12 Tishomingo Blues - GK, The Semi-Pro Musica Antiqua and Shoe Band
- 00:04:45 GK Opens
- 00:09:08 Federal Law - GK and Shoe Band
- 00:11:18 Sugar Babe (It's All Over Now) - Pat Donohue, GK and Shoe Band
- 00:14:35 Guy Noir Script
- 00:25:20 Baby Sees Manhattan (Hush Little Baby) - GK and Shoe Band
- 00:31:12 Powdermilk Biscuit Break
- 00:33:12 GK talks about the Neglected Instruments
- 00:34:45 Rhubarb Script
- 00:38:32 GK talks with Peter Schickele
- 00:40:54 Joy to the World, Especially to Out-of-Work Musicians - Peter Schickele and The Semi-Pro Musica Antiqua
- 00:47:14 Mom Script
- 00:52:45 GK introduces The Bacon Brothers
- 00:53:28 493 Miles - The Bacon Brothers
- 00:57:24 GK talks with Kevin and Michael Bacon
- 00:58:45 Only a Good Woman - The Bacon Brothers
- 01:03:56 Intermission - She Loves You
- 01:07:50 GK Greetings
- 01:11:14 Diamonds in the Rough - GK, The Semi-Pro Musica Antiqua and Shoe Band
- 01:16:18 GK talks with Peter Schickele
- 01:17:15 The Mule - Peter Schickele, Michele Eaton and Brian Dougherty
- 01:18:44 Three Step Crab Dinner - Peter Schickele, Michele Eaton and Brian Dougherty
- 01:20:02 O Serpent - Peter Schickele, Michele Eaton and Brian Dougherty
- 01:22:28 In the Hearts of the Smallest Creatures - Shoe Band and Melanie Feld
- 01:25:15 News From Lake Wobegon
- 01:40:35 Memorize - The Bacon Brothers
- 01:43:58 GK talks with The Bacon Brothers
- 01:45:00 36 Cents - The Bacon Brothers
- 01:49:10 The Beautiful Blue Danube - GK, The Semi-Pro Musica Antiqua and Shoe Band
- 01:51:28 Cleaning Lady Script
- 01:53:45 Fiscal Script
- 01:56:32 GK Credits
- 01:57:40 Forked Deer - Richard Kriehn, Andy Stein and Shoe Band
Listen to individual segments as listed below. Times may be edited for broadcast.
Need help listening to the audio? See how to listen.
Lovingly selected from the earliest archives of A Prairie Home Companion, this heirloom collection represents the music from earliest years of the now legendary show: 1974–1976. With songs and tunes from jazz pianist Butch Thompson, mandolin maestro Peter Ostroushko, Dakota Dave Hull and the first house band, The Powdermilk Biscuit Band (Adam Granger, Bob Douglas and Mary DuShane).