Coming to you this week from The Town Hall on West 43rd Street in Manhattan, it's a live broadcast of A Prairie Home Companion with Garrison Keillor. With special guests, Itzhak Perlman, Cantor Yitzchak Meir Helfgot, and the Klezmer Conservatory Band, roots-country singer and songwriter Iris DeMent, pianist Dick Hyman, and vocalist Heather Masse. Plus, the Royal Academy of Radio Actors, Tim Russell, Sue Scott, Erica Rhodes, and sound effects man Fred Newman, The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band, and the latest News from (a suddenly snowy) Lake Wobegon.
Audio available Sundays at noon.
- 00:00:00 Logo
- 00:00:12 Tishomingo Blues - GK and Shoe Band
- 00:03:08 GK Opens
- 00:05:58 Calling My Children Home - GK, Heather Masse, Rich Dworsky, Pat Donohue and Shoe Band
- 00:08:38 English Script
- 00:11:32 GK talks with Iris DeMent
- 00:13:02 Sing the Delta - Iris DeMent with Richard Bennett, Jon Graboff and Gary Raynor
- 00:19:04 Go On Ahead and Go Home - Iris DeMent with Richard Bennett, Jon Graboff and Gary Raynor (Iris intros)
- 00:23:52 Keep What You Got - Pat Donohue and Shoe Band
- 00:27:16 Powdermilk Biscuit Break/ O Hanukah - GK, Itzhak Perlman, The Klezmer Conservatory Band and Shoe Band
- 00:30:25 Guy Noir Script
- 00:42:00 GK talks with Heather Masse
- 00:43:12 Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered - Heather Masse and Dick Hyman
- 00:48:38 Santa's Daughter Script
- 00:53:08 Il est ne, le divin enfant - Shoe Band
- 00:53:52 GK introduces Itzhak Perlman and Cantor Yitzchak Meir Helfgot
- 00:55:30 Mizmor L'Dovid - Cantor Yitzchak Meir Helfgot, Itzhak Perlman and The Klezmer Conservatory Band
- 01:00:28 Yism'Khu - Cantor Yitzchak Meir Helfgot, Itzhak Perlman and The Klezmer Conservatory Band
- 01:05:35 Intermission - I've Just Seen a Face
- 01:09:48 GK Greetings
- 01:13:05 Lullaby of Birdland - Heather Masse and Dick Hyman (GK intros)
- 01:16:34 Story Script
- 01:24:28 GK talks with Iris DeMent
- 01:25:20 Morning Glory - Iris DeMent with Richard Bennett, Jon Graboff and Gary Raynor
- 01:30:16 News From Lake Wobegon
- 01:42:24 Sweet Savannah Sue - Dick Hyman
- 01:44:55 Rhubarb Script
- 01:51:30 Khaiterma - Itzhak Perlman and The Klezmer Conservatory Band (GK intros)
- 01:55:20 GK Credits
- 01:57:00 O Du Froliche - Shoe Band
Listen to individual segments as listed below. Times may be edited for broadcast.
Need help listening to the audio? See how to listen.
Lovingly selected from the earliest archives of A Prairie Home Companion, this heirloom collection represents the music from earliest years of the now legendary show: 1974–1976. With songs and tunes from jazz pianist Butch Thompson, mandolin maestro Peter Ostroushko, Dakota Dave Hull and the first house band, The Powdermilk Biscuit Band (Adam Granger, Bob Douglas and Mary DuShane).