Counting the Stars
Coming to you this week from The Fitzgerald Theater in downtown Saint Paul, Minnesota, it's a live broadcast of A Prairie Home Companion with Garrison Keillor. With special guests, Emmylou Harris and Rodney Crowell, vocalist Heather Masse and pianist Jed Wilson, and singing sisters Jearlyn and Jevetta Steele. Plus, the Royal Academy of Radio Actors, Sue Scott, Tim Russell, and Fred Newman; an extra-wide Shoe Band with Michael B. Nelson, Kenni Holmen, and Steve Strand on brass and Joe Savage on steel guitar; and the latest News from Lake Wobegon.
Audio available Sundays at noon.
- 00:00:00 Logo
- 00:00:13 Tishomingo Blues
- 00:03:20 GK opens, talks about one last snowstorm, going to the dentist
- 00:06:56 Sunshine Medley- GK and Heather
- 00:10:39 Guy Noir script with Heather Masse and Emmylou Harris
- 00:21:55 Hold On, I'm Comin'- Jearlyn Steele and Jevetta Steele with band
- 00:24:52 This is Another Day- Jearlyn Steele and Jevetta Steele with band
- 00:28:28 Singer script
- 00:31:48 Powdermilk Biscuit Break
- 00:33:22 GK intros Heather Masse
- 00:35:16 When I Was A Cowboy- Heather Masse, Jed Wilson and band
- 00:39:00 Ring Them Bells- Heather Masse and Jed Wilson with band
- 00:43:00 Coffee script
- 00:45:16 GK intros Emmylou Harris and Rodney Crowell
- 00:47:05 Hanging Up My Heart- Emmylou Harris, Rodney Crowell and band
- 00:50:01 Dreaming My Dreams- Emmylou Harris, Rodney Crowell and band
- 00:53:24 Invitation to the Blues- Emmylou Harris, Rodney Crowell and band
- 00:57:12 T.M.I. script
- 01:00:09 Intermission- Fast Lane Boogie
- 01:07:15 Our Love is Here to Stay- Heather Masse and Jed Wilson
- 01:10:25 GK intros next song with Pat Donohue
- 01:10:43 She Drives Too Fast- Pat Donohue and band with Steele Sisters
- 01:14:13 Out on the Prairie- GK and band
- 01:17:10 News From Lake Wobegon
- 01:28:13 Laudate Dominus- GK, Heather Masse, band
- 01:31:33 GK talks about Rodney Crowell's memoir, upcoming tour
- 01:33:22 'Till I Gain Control Again- Rodney Crowell with Emmylou Harris and band
- 01:38:30 The Angels Rejoiced Last Night- Emmylou Harris and Rodney Crowell with band
- 01:41:04 Snowman script
- 01:48:18 Thing Called Love- Jearlyn Steele, Jevetta Steele, band
- 01:51:54 Credits, SFX with Fred Newman, Show Me The Way to Go Home/ Goodnight Ladies
Listen to individual segments as listed below. Times may be edited for broadcast.
Need help listening to the audio? See how to listen.
Lovingly selected from the earliest archives of A Prairie Home Companion, this heirloom collection represents the music from earliest years of the now legendary show: 1974–1976. With songs and tunes from jazz pianist Butch Thompson, mandolin maestro Peter Ostroushko, Dakota Dave Hull and the first house band, The Powdermilk Biscuit Band (Adam Granger, Bob Douglas and Mary DuShane).