Puttin' on the Style
This week on A Prairie Home Companion, we're kicking off our run of spring repeats with a show originally broadcast from The Fitzgerald Theater back in March 2002. Cowgirl singer Stephanie Davis joins Garrison on "Pick Me Up On Your Way Down," our good friend Peter Ostroushko plays the "East Texas Waltz," and guitarist Mike Dowling performs "Rosalie." Plus, Guy Noir tangles with The Question Man, Cindy Cashdollar sits in on steel guitar with The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band, and in Lake Wobegon, a bad cough requires "Grandma's Plaster."
Audio available Sundays at noon.
- 00:00:00 Logo
- 00:00:14 Tishomingo Blues
- 00:02:40 GK talks about last night's freezing rain storm, out-of-towners' driving
- 00:03:40 Remington Ride - Cindy Cashdollar , Shoe Band, and guests
- 00:06:17 Dairy script
- 00:08:10 Time Changes Everything - Stephanie Davis, Shoe Band, and guests
- 00:11:25 GK talks about songwriter Harlan Howard, who passed away this week
- 00:12:23 Pick Me Up On Your Way Down - GK, Stephanie, Shoe band and guests
- 00:15:03 Gershwin script
- 00:22:25 Fishin' in the Wind - Pat Donohue and Mike Dowling
- 00:25:19 Kansas City Man Blues - Pat Donohue and Mike Dowling
- 00:29:07 Powdermilk Biscuit Break, GK talks about next half-hour
- 00:30:34 St. Paul script
- 00:35:38 Café Boeuf script
- 00:38:23 East Texas Waltz - Peter Ostroushko
- 00:42:47 Guy Noir script
- 00:59:40 Intermission - Marie
- 01:03:31 Greetings
- 01:06:45 Just a Cup of Coffee - Stephanie Davis, Shoe band, and guests
- 01:09:47 TK-SFX Cruise script
- 01:13:45 Fat Boy Rag - Shoe band and guests, into GK talking with Cindy
- 01:18:00 Sittin' Here Pickin' the Blues - Pat Donohue, Shoe band, and guests
- 01:21:54 Jump, Children - Mike Dowling, Shoe band, and guests
- 01:25:25 PO-New Smyrna Beach Serenade
- 01:29:14 News From Lake Wobegon
- 01:47:27 Rosalie - Mike Dowling
- 01:51:48 Catchup script
- 01:54:19 Credits, Bye Bye Love
Listen to individual segments as listed below. Times may be edited for broadcast.
Need help listening to the audio? See how to listen.
Lovingly selected from the earliest archives of A Prairie Home Companion, this heirloom collection represents the music from earliest years of the now legendary show: 1974–1976. With songs and tunes from jazz pianist Butch Thompson, mandolin maestro Peter Ostroushko, Dakota Dave Hull and the first house band, The Powdermilk Biscuit Band (Adam Granger, Bob Douglas and Mary DuShane).