E Nanea Ho'i Kau
This week on A Prairie Home Companion with Garrison Keillor, a summer replay of our 2011 Hawaiian New Year's Eve show. Danny Carvalho, Ledward Kaapana, Jeff Peterson and Jake Shimabukuro play "Hi'ilawe," Heather Masse sings "Who Knows Where the Time Goes?" and Erica Rhodes joins the Royal Academy of Radio Actors. In Lake Wobegon, the Tolleruds and the Hansens fight over a good deed after a freezer malfunction.
Audio available Sundays at noon.
- 00:00:00 APM LOGO
- 00:00:11 Tishomingo Blues
- 00:00:53 GK Intro VO
- 00:01:47 Show Starts / GK Talks about Hawaii
- 00:02:25 GK Opens into Mozambique - GK, Heather Masse and Shoe Band
- 00:06:04 Hi'ilawe - Led Kaapana, Jake Shimabukuro, Jeff Peterson and Danny Carvalho
- 00:09:14 Big Island Script
- 00:13:40 Slack Key Lullaby - Led Kaapana (GK intros)
- 00:17:36 It Is So Beautiful - GK and Richard Dworsky
- 00:20:42 Nani - Led Kaapana
- 00:25:37 Pu'uanahulu - GK, Heather Masse and Led Kaapana with Shoe Band
- 00:29:40 Powdermilk Biscuit Break
- 00:31:03 Na Oiwi O Ke Kai - Jeff Peterson with Shoe Band (GK intros)
- 00:36:16 Guy Noir Script
- 00:49:44 (Kelly's Song) - Jake Shimabukuro with Shoe Band (GK intros)
- 00:55:03 Bring Your Adz - Jake Shimabukuro
- 00:58:04 GK talks about Hawaii
- 01:00:03 Stars and Stripes Forever - GK, Heather Masse and Shoe Band
- 01:03:08 Intermission - Honolulu Blues
- 01:07:27 Welcome Back / Greetings
- 01:10:15 You're the Top - GK and Shoe Band
- 01:14:06 Ketchup Script
- 01:18:11 What Are You Doing New Year's Eve? - Heather Masse with Shoe Band
- 01:22:06 Dolphin Script
- 01:23:42 Kaaumoana - Danny Carvalho
- 01:27:26 Kahealani - Jeff Peterson with Shoe Band
- 01:31:02 E Kuu Morning Dew - Led Kaapana
- 01:35:08 News From Lake Wobegon
- 01:44:09 Kipahulu - Led Kaapana, Jake Shimabukuro, Jeff Peterson, and Danny Carvalho
- 01:47:27 Who Knows Where the Time Goes? - Heather Masse with Shoe Band
- 01:51:58 GK Credits
- 01:53:51 Auld Lang Syne into Forever Young - GK, Heather Masse, Led Kaapana, Jake Shimabukuro, Jeff Peterson, Danny Carvalho, Shoe Band and live audience.
Listen to individual segments as listed below. Times may be edited for broadcast.
Need help listening to the audio? See how to listen.
Lovingly selected from the earliest archives of A Prairie Home Companion, this heirloom collection represents the music from earliest years of the now legendary show: 1974–1976. With songs and tunes from jazz pianist Butch Thompson, mandolin maestro Peter Ostroushko, Dakota Dave Hull and the first house band, The Powdermilk Biscuit Band (Adam Granger, Bob Douglas and Mary DuShane).