Out of Left Field
Coming to you this week from The Fitzgerald Theater in Saint Paul, Minnesota, it's a live broadcast performance of A Prairie Home Companion with Garrison Keillor. With special guests, soul singer, songwriter and producer Dan Penn, fiddler-singer Sara Watkins, and blues singer Hilary Thavis. Plus, the Royal Academy of Radio Actors, Sue Scott, Tim Russell, and Fred Newman, tubist Mike Forbes sits in with The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band, and the latest News from Lake Wobegon.
Audio available Sundays at noon.
- 00:00:00 Logo
- 00:00:14 Tishomingo Blues
- 00:02:20 GK opens, talks about President Obama's conversation with Iran's president, America's Cup race, modern conveniences, tonight's guests, someday he will Google himself to find out who he used to be.
- 00:06:28 September Song- GK and Shoe Band
- 00:09:03 GK talks with Sara Watkins
- 00:09:30 You Look Good To Me- Sara Watkins and band
- 00:11:56 GK talks with Hilary Thavis
- 00:14:18 Marathon Blues- Hilary Thavis and band
- 00:17:44 Mom script
- 00:25:05 Left All Alone Again Blues- Pat Donohue and band
- 00:28:05 Powdermilk Biscuit Break
- 00:29:50 GK talks about Bobby Emmons and Dan Penn
- 00:30:20 Lord Lead Me On- Sara Watkins, GK and band
- 00:34:10 Twin Fiddle Medley: Liberty/ Whiskey Before Breakfast/ Big Mon- Sara Watkins and Richard Kriehn
- 00:37:48 Guy Noir script
- 00:47:15 GK intros Dan Penn and Bobby Emmons
- 00:48:18 I'm Your Puppet- Dan Penn and Bobby Emmons
- 00:52:00 GK talks with Dan Penn about writing songs, intros next tune
- 00:56:06 Cry Like A Baby- Dan Penn and Bobby Emmons
- 00:59:00 Intermission- I Do Declare
- 01:03:48 Greetings
- 01:05:55 Glory of Love- GK/ Sara Watkins/ band
- 01:08:30 GK talks with Sara Watkins
- 01:10:27 See-Saw- Sara Watkins/ band
- 01:13:21 Duct Tape script
- 01:14:45 SFX script
- 01:23:15 Dan Penn talks about writing "Do Right Woman" for Aretha Franklin
- 01:27:22 Do Right Woman, Do Right Man- Dan Penn and Bobby Emmons
- 01:32:17 News From Lake Wobegon
- 01:42:06 Rhubarb Rag- Shoe Band
- 01:44:01 Miss My Kisses- Sara Watkins and band
- 01:47:31 Gin script
- 01:48:54 Dark End of The Street- Dan Penn, Bobby Emmons, Garrison Keillor and The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band
- 01:52:28 Credits
- 01:54:13 Miss the Mississippi- GK, Sara Watkins, band
- 01:57:00 Back Up and Push- Guy's All-Star Shoe Band
Listen to individual segments as listed below. Times may be edited for broadcast.
Need help listening to the audio? See how to listen.
Lovingly selected from the earliest archives of A Prairie Home Companion, this heirloom collection represents the music from earliest years of the now legendary show: 1974–1976. With songs and tunes from jazz pianist Butch Thompson, mandolin maestro Peter Ostroushko, Dakota Dave Hull and the first house band, The Powdermilk Biscuit Band (Adam Granger, Bob Douglas and Mary DuShane).