Gettin' By on Central Time
This week on A Prairie Home Companion with Garrison Keillor, it's a live broadcast from The Fitzgerald Theater in downtown Saint Paul, Minnesota. With special guests, free spirited troubadour Pokey LaFarge, bluegrass utility man Joe Newberry, and vocalist Heather Masse with pianist Jed Wilson. Plus, the Royal Academy of Radio Actors, Tim Russell, Sue Scott, and Fred Newman; Rich Dworsky and the October Boys (Richard Kriehn, Dean Magraw, Gary Raynor and Marc Anderson); and the latest News from Lake Wobegon.
Audio available Sundays at noon.
- 00:00:00 Logo
- 00:00:13 Tishomingo Blues
- 00:02:54 GK talks about the week in politics, stealing the high school principal's pants so he has to run down the hall in his underwear
- 00:04:42 Open script (John Boehner)
- 00:10:10 Winter's Comin' Round- GK/ Heather Masse/ band
- 00:12:50 GK talks with Joe Newberry
- 00:13:26 The Darker the Night, The Better I See- Joe Newberry and band
- 00:17:45 Singing As We Rise- Joe Newberry, GK, Heather Masse and band
- 00:21:04 Poem script
- 00:24:15 Watchdoggin'- Dean Magraw and The October Boys
- 00:26:02 Farther Along- GK and The October Boys
- 00:32:21 Powdermilk Biscuit Break
- 00:34:20 GK talks with Heather Masse about her son and husband back home
- 00:34:50 In For the Night- Heather Masse, Jed Wilson and band
- 00:38:27 Everybody's Cryin' Mercy- Heather Masse, Jed Wilson and band
- 00:42:08 Guy Noir script
- 00:53:10 GK intros Pokey LaFarge
- 00:54:50 Close the Door- Pokey LaFarge
- 00:58:30 Central Time- Pokey LaFarge
- 01:02:45 Intermission- Yeh Yeh
- 01:07:42 Greetings
- 01:09:48 You Left the Water Running- GK, Heather Mass, band
- 01:12:32 Cissy Strut- Dean Magraw and band
- 01:14:42 SFX script
- 01:22:54 What the Rain Will Bring- Pokey LaFarge
- 01:27:20 Blue Mazurka- Richard Dworsky and The October Boys
- 01:28:49 News From Lake Wobegon
- 01:44:13 Hey That's No Way To Say Goodbye- Heather Masse and Jed Wilson
- 01:47:28 The Train That Carried My Girl From Town- Joe Newberry and band
- 01:50:00 Raoul script
- 01:55:00 All Night Long- Pokey LaFarge
- 01:57:55 Singing As We Rise reprise- Joe Newberry, GK, Heather Masse, band
Listen to individual segments as listed below. Times may be edited for broadcast.
Need help listening to the audio? See how to listen.
Lovingly selected from the earliest archives of A Prairie Home Companion, this heirloom collection represents the music from earliest years of the now legendary show: 1974–1976. With songs and tunes from jazz pianist Butch Thompson, mandolin maestro Peter Ostroushko, Dakota Dave Hull and the first house band, The Powdermilk Biscuit Band (Adam Granger, Bob Douglas and Mary DuShane).