Where the Beat is Tough
Coming to you this week live from the Orpheum Theatre in Memphis, Tennessee, it's a live broadcast of A Prairie Home Companion with Garrison Keillor. With special guests, folk duo The Milk Carton Kids, singer Hilary Thavis, and theatre organist Tony Thomas. Plus, the Royal Academy of Radio Actors, Tim Russell, Beth Gilleland, and Fred Newman, saxophonist Kenni Holmen joins The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band, and the latest News from Lake Wobegon.
Click any image to see the full gallery
Audio available Sundays at noon.
- 00:00:00 Logo
- 00:00:14 Tishomingo Blues/ Going Back to Memphis- GK/ Hilary Thavis
- 00:03:40 GK opens, talks about Memphis
- 00:06:35 Stop, Look and Listen- GK/ Shoe Band
- 00:09:05 That's Alright Mama- Hilary Thavis/ Shoe Band
- 00:11:18 Memphis Soul Stew- Richard Kriehn/ Shoe Band
- 00:14:36 English Majors script
- 00:16:53 GK intros Milk Carton Kids
- 00:19:00 Years Gone By- Milk Carton Kids
- 00:24:45 GK talks with Milk Carton Kids about the next song
- 00:25:27 Memoirs of an Owned Dog- Milk Carton Kids, with Rich Dworsky and Gary Raynor
- 00:29:50 Powdermilk Biscuit Break
- 00:31:30 Cruise announcement
- 00:34:12 I Walk The Line/ Folsom Prison Blues- GK/ band
- 00:37:55 Guy Noir script
- 00:45:27 Me and My Chauffeur Blues- Hilary Thavis and band
- 00:48:20 Rhubarb script
- 00:51:23 Limericks- GK/ Rich Dworsky
- 00:53:20 GK talks about the city of Memphis
- 00:58:57 Rocket 88- Pat Donohue and band
- 01:01:35 Darktown Strutters Ball- Tony Thomas
- 01:04:55 Intermission- theater organ- Tony Thomas
- 01:09:20 Greetings
- 01:11:18 Can't Help Falling in Love- GK, audience, organ
- 01:14:52 Beautiful- GK/ Rich Dworsky
- 01:20:12 Lonely Man- GK/ band
- 01:24:00 News From Lake Wobegon
- 01:36:40 Kissing in the Dark- Hilary Thavis and band
- 01:39:50 Halloween script
- 01:45:20 GK talks with Milk Carton Kids
- 01:46:10 Memphis- Milk Carton Kids, with Rich Dworsky
- 01:52:30 GK talks about visiting Graceland
- 01:53:24 Ketchup script
- 01:55:52 Credits, One O'Clock Jump- band/ Tony Thomas
Listen to individual segments as listed below. Times may be edited for broadcast.
Need help listening to the audio? See how to listen.
Lovingly selected from the earliest archives of A Prairie Home Companion, this heirloom collection represents the music from earliest years of the now legendary show: 1974–1976. With songs and tunes from jazz pianist Butch Thompson, mandolin maestro Peter Ostroushko, Dakota Dave Hull and the first house band, The Powdermilk Biscuit Band (Adam Granger, Bob Douglas and Mary DuShane).