In the Shadows of an Autumn Evening
Coming to you this week from the State Theatre in downtown Minneapolis, Minnesota, it's a live broadcast of A Prairie Home Companion with Garrison Keillor. With special guests, the Pied Piper of Poetry, Billy Collins, mandolinist and bluegrass ambassador Sam Bush, men's vocal ensemble Cantus, and singer Hilary Thavis. Plus, the Royal Academy of Radio Actors, Tim Russell, Sue Scott, and Fred Newman, The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band, and the latest News from Lake Wobegon.
Click any image to see the full gallery
Audio available Sundays at noon.
- 00:00:00 Logo
- 00:00:13 Tishomingo Blues
- 00:03:08 GK opens, talks about being cool and in Minneapolis, suspension bridge over the Mississippi River, Minnesota people
- 00:05:17 November Day- GK and Hilary Thavis
- 00:07:44 Sons of Bernie: Look For the Silver Lining- GK and Cantus
- 00:12:15 Walk On, Boy- Sam Bush and The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band
- 00:15:36 Got My Hammer- Cantus
- 00:18:30 24 and Single Blues- Hilary Thavis and band
- 00:21:30 Safety script
- 00:25:09 GK intros Billy Collins
- 00:27:00 Billy Collins recites "The Sand Hill Cranes of Nebraska", "The Suggestion Box", "Cheerios" and "To My Favorite Seventeen Year Old Girl"
- 00:34:30 Powdermilk Biscuit Break
- 00:36:10 Wreck of the Old 97- GK/ band
- 00:40:15 SFX: BERTHA'S script
- 00:46:15 Fiddle Tune- Cantus with Richard Kriehn
- 00:49:06 Guy Noir script
- 00:58:56 White Freightliner- Sam Bush and band
- 01:02:00 Intermission- Gee Whiz
- 01:06:00 Greetings, GK talks more about Minneapolis
- 01:15:48 It Is So Beautiful- GK/ Rich Dworsky
- 01:20:00 Crazy Blues- Hilary Thavis and band
- 01:24:12 Gravedigger- Cantus
- 01:29:50 GK talks more with Billy Collins
- 01:30:21 Billy Collins recites "Drinking Alone After Li Po", "Orient" and "Aimless Love"
- 01:35:37 News From Lake Wobegon
- 01:45:57 Veni Sancte Spiritus- Cantus
- 01:48:22 Love You Like I Do- Pat Donohue and The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band
- 01:50:58 Poem script
- 01:54:33 Billy Collins recites "The Revenant"
- 01:56:30 Credits, Waiting at the End of the Road/ Soldier's Joy
Listen to individual segments as listed below. Times may be edited for broadcast.
Need help listening to the audio? See how to listen.
Lovingly selected from the earliest archives of A Prairie Home Companion, this heirloom collection represents the music from earliest years of the now legendary show: 1974–1976. With songs and tunes from jazz pianist Butch Thompson, mandolin maestro Peter Ostroushko, Dakota Dave Hull and the first house band, The Powdermilk Biscuit Band (Adam Granger, Bob Douglas and Mary DuShane).