Moonlight and Music
Coming to you this week from The Town Hall on West 43rd Street in New York City, it's a live broadcast performance of A Prairie Home Companion with Garrison Keillor. With special guests, small big band Vince Giordano and the Nighthawks, author Roy Blount Jr., and singers Heather Masse and Aoife O'Donovan. Plus, the Royal Academy of Radio Actors, Tim Russell, Sue Scott, Erica Rhodes, and sound effects man Fred Newman, musical director Richard Dworsky, and the latest News from Lake Wobegon.
Audio available Sundays at noon.
- 00:00:00 Logo
- 00:00:13 Tishomingo Blues
- 00:03:35 GK opens, talks about James Joyce and Marcel Proust meeting, Auld Lang Syne script
- 00:08:22 Thanksgiving Prayer (I Thank the Lord He Made You)- GK, Heather Masse, Aoife O'Donovan with Richard Dworsky
- 00:11:31 Crazy Rhythm- Vince Giordano and the Nighthawks
- 00:14:22 Radio script with Vince Giordano and the Nighthawks
- 00:27:28 GK intros Roy Blount Jr.
- 00:29:50 "Thanksgiving Eve"- Roy Blount Jr.
- 00:36:07 Mom script
- 00:43:39 Guy Noir script
- 00:54:38 Old Hundred- GK, Heather and Aoife
- 00:57:37 A-Rovin' on a Winter's Night- Heather and Aoife
- 01:00:32 Rank Strangers- GK, Heather and Aoife
- 01:04:34 Intermission- I Got Rhythm/ Strike Up the Band
- 01:08:42 Greetings
- 01:12:50 I Can't Give You Anything But Love- GK with Vince Giordano and the Nighthawks
- 01:14:50 GK talks to Rich about Hanukah and Thanksgiving
- 01:15:40 Hanukah Medley: Hanerot Halulu/ Y'vanim/ S'vivon/ Y'me Hachanurah- Richard Dworsky with Heather, Aoife and band
- 01:19:40 Erica script
- 01:25:57 Fred Newman Makes The Noises For the Broadcast- Vince and the Nighthawks with Fred Newman
- 01:29:44 Rhubarb script
- 01:34:40 Psalm of Life- Aoife O'Donovan and Heather Masse with Richard Dworsky
- 01:38:11 News From Lake Wobegon
- 01:49:45 The Man I Love- Heather Masse with Vince Giordano and the Nighthawks
- 01:53:00 POEM script
- 01:55:50 Credits, Goodnight Ladies
Listen to individual segments as listed below. Times may be edited for broadcast.
Need help listening to the audio? See how to listen.
Lovingly selected from the earliest archives of A Prairie Home Companion, this heirloom collection represents the music from earliest years of the now legendary show: 1974–1976. With songs and tunes from jazz pianist Butch Thompson, mandolin maestro Peter Ostroushko, Dakota Dave Hull and the first house band, The Powdermilk Biscuit Band (Adam Granger, Bob Douglas and Mary DuShane).