Listen to the Skies
This week on A Prairie Home Companion with Garrison Keillor, it's a live broadcast from The Town Hall in New York City. With special guests, British rock 'n' roller Nick Lowe, actress Debra Monk, and satin-voiced singer Nellie McKay. Plus, the Royal Academy of Radio Actors, Sue Scott, Tim Russell, and Fred Newman, The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band, and the latest News from Lake Wobegon.
Download this week's scripts as PDF documents:
Audio available Sundays at noon.
- 00:00:00 Logo
- 00:00:14 Tishomingo Blues
- 00:03:35 GK opens
- 00:05:45 Santa's in New York- GK/ Debra Monk/ Rich Dworsky
- 00:07:17 Guy Noir script
- 00:18:08 GK intros Nellie McKay
- 00:19:40 Take Me Away- Nellie McKay and The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band with Fred Newman
- 00:23:23 Roommate script
- 00:31:58 Powdermilk Biscuit Break
- 00:33:42 GK talks with Debra Monk
- 00:34:55 Where Could I Go?- GK, Debra Monk, Rich Dworsky
- 00:38:43 Beggars script
- 00:49:02 Blowin' into Town- The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band
- 00:51:27 GK intros Nick Lowe
- 00:52:30 Christmas at the Airport- Nick Lowe and The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band
- 00:56:12 Rome Wasn't Built in a Day- Nick Lowe and The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band
- 00:59:22 Will We Go, Darling?- GK, Debra Monk, Rich Dworsky
- 01:02:36 Intermission- Help!
- 01:06:45 Greetings
- 01:10:27 Farewell to Minnesota- GK and Richard Dworsky
- 01:12:38 GK talks with Debra Monk
- 01:13:06 Santa Claus is Comin' to Town- Debra Monk and Richard Dworsky
- 01:16:13 GK brings Nellie McKay back, she has changed her outfit
- 01:17:02 Body and Soul- Nellie McKay
- 01:20:42 Mom script
- 01:28:53 GK brings Nick Lowe back
- 01:29:10 Tokyo Bay- Nick Lowe and The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band
- 01:31:56 I Was Born in Bethlehem- Nick Lowe and The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band
- 01:35:43 News From Lake Wobegon
- 01:50:26 Here Comes Santa Claus- Nellie McKay and The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band
- 01:52:25 Ketchup script
- 01:53:33 Credits, We Wish You a Merry Christmas/ We Wish You A Merry Christmas/ Angels We Have Heard on High
Listen to individual segments as listed below. Times may be edited for broadcast.
Need help listening to the audio? See how to listen.
Lovingly selected from the earliest archives of A Prairie Home Companion, this heirloom collection represents the music from earliest years of the now legendary show: 1974–1976. With songs and tunes from jazz pianist Butch Thompson, mandolin maestro Peter Ostroushko, Dakota Dave Hull and the first house band, The Powdermilk Biscuit Band (Adam Granger, Bob Douglas and Mary DuShane).