Learn Your Lessons Well
Coming to you this week from The Town Hall in New York City, it's a live broadcast of A Prairie Home Companion with Garrison Keillor. With special guests, keyboardist and bandleader Paul Shaffer, singing trio The DiGiallonardo Sisters, and soprano Ellie Dehn. Plus, the Royal Academy of Radio Actors, Tim Russell, Sue Scott, and Fred Newman, musical director Richard Dworsky and The Saturday Night Band (Richard Kriehn, Dean Magraw, Jeff Carney, and Ray Marchica) and the latest News from Lake Wobegon.
Audio available Sundays at noon.
- 00:00:00 Logo
- 00:00:12 Tishomingo Blues
- 00:02:35 GK opens, talks about the snow, the magic of NYC, diversity
- 00:04:33 Geology (Manhattan Schist)- GK and DiGiallonardo Sisters
- 00:07:37 Mailman- GK and band
- 00:10:00 GK talks with The DiGiallonardo Sisters
- 00:11:29 Southern Cross- The DiGiallonardo Sisters
- 00:16:02 Trenton script
- 00:20:10 Rubber Band- Richard Dworsky and The Saturday Night Band
- 00:21:58 GK talks with Paul Shaffer
- 00:27:00 Nut Rocker- Paul Shaffer and band
- 00:30:19 Powdermilk Biscuit Break
- 00:32:10 Angel (New Yorker Magazine)- GK with Richard Dworsky and band
- 00:35:27 GK talks with Ellie Dehn
- 00:36:52 Meine Lippen, sie küssen so heiß - Ellie Dehn and Laurent Philippe with band
- 00:41:57 Guy Noir script
- 00:57:43 Sea of Love- The DiGiallonardo Sisters with Richard Dworsky, Paul Shaffer and band
- 01:00:25 Intermission- Santa Claus is Coming to Town
- 01:09:07 Are You Happy?- GK and band
- 01:11:46 One Fine Day- The DiGiallonardo Sisters with Paul Shaffer, Richard Dworsky and band
- 01:15:07 GK talks about John Lennon
- 01:15:55 John Lennon Medley: In My Life/ Ticket To Ride/ Help/ Julia/ Happy Xmas (War is Over)- DiGiallonardo Sisters, Garrison Keillor, Paul Shaffer, Richard Dworsky, band
- 01:24:53 A Life Well Lived- Richard Dworsky and The Saturday Night Band
- 01:27:26 News From Lake Wobegon
- 01:39:43 Ständchen- Ellie Dehn and Laurent Philippe
- 01:44:13 When Stars Go Blue- The DiGiallonardo Sisters
- 01:47:35 Rhubarb script
- 01:53:40 Louie Louie- Paul Shaffer, Richard Dworsky, The DiGiallonardo Sisters and The Saturday Night Band
Listen to individual segments as listed below. Times may be edited for broadcast.
Need help listening to the audio? See how to listen.
Lovingly selected from the earliest archives of A Prairie Home Companion, this heirloom collection represents the music from earliest years of the now legendary show: 1974–1976. With songs and tunes from jazz pianist Butch Thompson, mandolin maestro Peter Ostroushko, Dakota Dave Hull and the first house band, The Powdermilk Biscuit Band (Adam Granger, Bob Douglas and Mary DuShane).