Away But Never Gone
This week on A Prairie Home Companion with Garrison Keillor, as single-digit temperatures settle over Minnesota, we'll escape to sunny San Diego, California for a live broadcast from the San Diego Civic Theatre. With special guests, folk trio The Wailin' Jennys and singer-songwriter-fiddler Sara Watkins. Plus, the Royal Academy of Radio Actors, Tim Russell, Sue Scott, and Fred Newman, The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band, and the latest News from Lake Wobegon.
Around San Diego
Click any image to see the full gallery
Download this week's scripts as PDF documents:
Audio available Sundays at noon.
- 00:00:00 Logo
- 00:00:13 Tishomingo Blues
- 00:02:50 GK opens, talks about how beautiful San Diego is, no one minds rush hour
- 00:06:00 Singin' in the Snow- GK and band
- 00:07:04 New Year Song- GK and band
- 00:10:11 Any Old Time- Sara Watkins and band
- 00:13:30 GK talks with Sara Watkins, they talk about Phil Everly
- 00:14:46 The Stories We Could Tell- GK and Sara Watkins with band
- 00:18:00 Cowboys script
- 00:28:45 SFX script
- 00:32:32 Powdermilk Biscuit Break
- 00:34:20 GK talks more about San Diego
- 00:37:54 Beautiful- GK/ Rich Dworsky
- 00:41:47 Wolf script
- 00:53:13 GK talks with The Wailin' Jennys
- 00:55:00 Wildflowers- Wailin' Jennys with Sara Watkins
- 00:58:52 Weary Blues From Waiting- Wailin' Jennys
- 01:02:26 Intermission- You Can't Do That- The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band
- 01:06:02 Greetings
- 01:08:20 Let it Be Me- GK and Sara Watkins with band
- 01:11:20 Mozart script- GK and band
- 01:17:27 GK talks about surf music
- 01:18:10 Surf Medley- The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band
- 01:21:03 Catchup script
- 01:24:42 GK talks with Ruth Moody about the Mark Knopfler tour
- 01:26:30 Bold Riley- Wailin' Jennys
- 01:31:43 News From Lake Wobegon
- 01:44:41 Jefferson- Sara Watkins and band
- 01:47:35 Hipster script
- 01:50:12 GK talks with Sara about her dad the math teacher
- 01:51:12 I Think of You- Sara Watkins and band
- 01:56:00 Goodnight Ladies closer
Listen to individual segments as listed below. Times may be edited for broadcast.
Need help listening to the audio? See how to listen.
Lovingly selected from the earliest archives of A Prairie Home Companion, this heirloom collection represents the music from earliest years of the now legendary show: 1974–1976. With songs and tunes from jazz pianist Butch Thompson, mandolin maestro Peter Ostroushko, Dakota Dave Hull and the first house band, The Powdermilk Biscuit Band (Adam Granger, Bob Douglas and Mary DuShane).