Knocking on the Golden Door
Coming to you this week from the Nourse Theater in San Francisco, California, it's a live broadcast performance of A Prairie Home Companion with Garrison Keillor. With special guests, three-part harmonizers The SongBirds, home-grown-music masters Jim Kweskin and Geoff Muldaur, and fiddler extraordinaire Sara Watkins. Plus, the Royal Academy of Radio Actors, Tim Russell, Sue Scott, and Fred Newman, The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band, and the latest News from Lake Wobegon.
Around San Francisco
Click any image to see the full gallery
Download this week's scripts as PDF documents:
Audio available Sundays at noon.
- 00:00:00 Logo
- 00:00:13 Tishomingo Blues
- 00:03:00 I Left My Dough in San Francisco- GK and Rich Dworsky
- 00:04:22 GK talks about the Nourse Theater
- 00:05:11 Minnesota Song- GK and The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band
- 00:08:52 Papa's on the Housetop- Jim Kweskin and Geoff Muldaur with band
- 00:12:09 Duet Medley- GK and Sara Watkins with band
- 00:21:20 GK talks with The Songbirds
- 00:22:46 Chattanooga Choo Choo- The Songbirds with The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band
- 00:26:22 Crazy People- The Songbirds with The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band
- 00:30:06 The Dotted Line- Sara Watkins with The Songbirds and Shoe Band
- 00:33:46 Powdermilk Biscuit Break
- 00:35:17 Down By The Sally Garden- GK/ band
- 00:38:38 Kelly script
- 00:41:20 GK talks with Jim Kweskin and Geoff Muldaur
- 00:42:23 Boll Weevil- Jim Kweskin and Geoff Muldaur
- 00:46:10 My Mary- Jim Kweskin and Geoff Muldaur
- 00:49:47 Guy Noir script
- 01:00:57 Intermission- City of New Orleans
- 01:04:23 Greetings
- 01:07:19 Sleepless Nights- GK, Sara Watkins, band)
- 01:10:55 Symphony Souffle- The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band
- 01:14:16 San Francisco Bay Blues (Opera)- GK/ Shoe Band
- 01:17:20 SFX script
- 01:23:33 POEM script
- 01:26:22 GK talks with The Songbirds
- 01:27:03 Wishing (Will Make it So)- The Songbirds
- 01:28:22 News From Lake Wobegon
- 01:43:08 Too Many Tomorrows- Sara Watkins and band
- 01:47:13 GK talks about the history of the High School of Commerce, San Francisco
- 01:50:44 Blues My Naughty Sweetie Gives To Me- Jim Kweskin and Geoff Muldaur with The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band
- 01:54:12 Credits, Goodnight Sweetheart Goodnight/ Stealin'/ Jerusalem- The Songbirds, Jim Kweskin, Geoff Muldaur, GK, Shoe Band
Listen to individual segments as listed below. Times may be edited for broadcast.
Need help listening to the audio? See how to listen.
Lovingly selected from the earliest archives of A Prairie Home Companion, this heirloom collection represents the music from earliest years of the now legendary show: 1974–1976. With songs and tunes from jazz pianist Butch Thompson, mandolin maestro Peter Ostroushko, Dakota Dave Hull and the first house band, The Powdermilk Biscuit Band (Adam Granger, Bob Douglas and Mary DuShane).