Dreams of Lost Roads
This week on A Prairie Home Companion with Garrison Keillor, it's a live broadcast from our home base in Saint Paul, The Fitzgerald Theater. With special guests, eclectic Ukranian quartet DakhaBrakha, blues vocalist Hilary Thavis, and Saint Paul's Mayor Chris Coleman. Plus, the Royal Academy of Radio Actors, Tim Russell, Sue Scott, and Fred Newman, guitarist Dean Magraw sits in with The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band, and the latest News from Lake Wobegon.
Around the Twin Cities
Click any image to see the full gallery
Download this week's scripts as PDF documents:
Audio available Sundays at noon.
- 00:00:00 Logo
- 00:00:13 Tishomingo Blues
- 00:03:03 GK opens, talks about shoveling, how it is a male-marking ritual
- 00:04:20 Old Rosin the Beau- GK and band
- 00:07:30 Chris Christie- GK and Richard Dworsky
- 00:09:20 Lutherans script
- 00:15:00 Snow Emergency Blues- Hilary Thavis and band
- 00:18:44 GK talks about the MN Orchestra, "Tuxedos Untucked"
- 00:23:58 News From Lake Wobegon, (Part 1), talk about the Polar Vortex
- 00:28:53 Wake Up Little Susie- Pat Donohue and Richard Kriehn with band
- 00:31:06 Powdermilk Biscuit Break
- 00:33:32 Guy Noir script
- 00:43:25 GK talks with DakhaBrakha
- 00:45:42 Sho Z-Pod Duba (Behind The Oak)- DakhaBrakha
- 00:49:41 Vesna (Spring)- DakhaBrakha
- 00:56:57 Gel script
- 00:58:49 SFX script
- 01:01:40 Intermission- I Saw Her Standing There
- 01:04:55 Greetings
- 01:06:04 Trans-Atlantic script
- 01:11:00 Garnier- The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band
- 01:13:00 GK talks with Chris Coleman, mayor of St. Paul
- 01:19:18 Sabu Visits The Twin Cities Alone- Mayor Chris Coleman and band
- 01:22:13 Roy script
- 01:31:36 Hallelujah I Love Him So- Hilary Thavis and band
- 01:34:35 GK talks more with DahkaBrakha
- 01:36:10 Melauka (New Year's Song)- DahkaBrakha
- 01:38:14 News From Lake Wobegon (Part 2)
- 01:47:40 Only One And Only- GK and band
- 01:51:42 Cell script
- 01:53:04 Credits, That's The Way That The World Goes 'Round- GK, Mayor Chris Coleman, Hilary Thavis and The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band
Listen to individual segments as listed below. Times may be edited for broadcast.
Need help listening to the audio? See how to listen.
Lovingly selected from the earliest archives of A Prairie Home Companion, this heirloom collection represents the music from earliest years of the now legendary show: 1974–1976. With songs and tunes from jazz pianist Butch Thompson, mandolin maestro Peter Ostroushko, Dakota Dave Hull and the first house band, The Powdermilk Biscuit Band (Adam Granger, Bob Douglas and Mary DuShane).