Deep in the Heart
This week on A Prairie Home Companion with Garrison Keillor, we'll rebroadcast a show from April 2013 at the Bass Concert Hall in Austin, Texas. Asleep at the Wheel perform "Miles and Miles of Texas," Kat Edmonson sings "Lucky," and the Texas Tornados play "Mendocino." In Lake Wobegon, Pastor Liz makes house calls to hear the town's complaints.
Audio available Sundays at noon.
- 00:00:00 APM Logo
- 00:00:12 Tishomingo Blues
- 00:00:55 GK Intro (Voiceover)
- 00:01:47 Austin Phosphorous Sauce
- 00:03:14 Spring Poem/ April in Texas- GK/ band
- 00:08:30 Miles and Miles of Texas- Asleep at the Wheel
- 00:12:22 Mendocino - Texas Tornados and Asleep at the Wheel
- 00:15:34 Subjunctive script
- 00:17:07 The Lives of the Cowboys script with Ray Benson
- 00:27:50 Powdermilk Biscuit Break
- 00:28:57 Welcome Back V.O.
- 00:29:06 Breakfast spot, GK talks about Austin landmarks
- 00:30:35 GK talks with Pat Donohue
- 00:31:02 Shuckin' Sugar Blues- Pat Donohue and band
- 00:34:03 GK intros Kat Edmonson
- 00:34:31 Take the Long Way Home- Kat Edmonson, Ray Benson and Asleep at the Wheel
- 00:37:49 Lucky - Kat Edmonson and Asleep at the Wheel
- 00:41:25 Guy Noir script with Kat Edmonson
- 00:51:29 GK talks with Ray Benson
- 00:52:30 Route 66- Ray Benson and Asleep at the Wheel
- 00:56:22 Intermission- Eight Days A Week
- 01:00:00 Welcome Back / Greetings
- 01:05:40 GK talks with Kat Edmonson
- 01:03:05 Faded Jeans- GK, Kat Edmonson, band
- 01:05:41 SFX Earth Day / Fracking Script
- 01:08:37 Is Anybody Going to San Antone- Texas Tornados and Asleep at the Wheel
- 01:11:53 Hey Baby (Que Paso)- Texas Tornados and Asleep at the Wheel
- 01:15:15 Café Boeuf script
- 01:17:28 Kat intros next tune
- 01:18:30 Champagne- Kat Edmonson and The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band
- 01:22:05 News From Lake Wobegon
- 01:34:38 Perpetual Notion- Richard Dworsky and The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band
- 01:36:45 GK talks more about Austin
- 01:40:04 Airline script
- 01:41:40 Hesitating Blues- Ray Benson and Asleep at the Wheel
- 01:44:55 Boogie Back to Texas- Ray Benson and Asleep at the Wheel
- 01:48:54 How Great Thou Art (for George Beverly Shea)- GK/ Rich/ audience
- 01:50:46 Credits
- 01:52:19 Deep in the Heart of Texas- GK, Kat Edmonson, bands, live audience
- 01:57:20 The Next Time I'm In Town - Pat Donohue, GK, GASB
- 01:58:05 That's Our Show Outro V.O.
Listen to individual segments as listed below. Times may be edited for broadcast.
Need help listening to the audio? See how to listen.
Lovingly selected from the earliest archives of A Prairie Home Companion, this heirloom collection represents the music from earliest years of the now legendary show: 1974–1976. With songs and tunes from jazz pianist Butch Thompson, mandolin maestro Peter Ostroushko, Dakota Dave Hull and the first house band, The Powdermilk Biscuit Band (Adam Granger, Bob Douglas and Mary DuShane).