This week on A Prairie Home Companion with Garrison Keillor, a winter rebroadcast of a show originally from January 2013, at the War Memorial Opera House in San Francisco, California. Elvin Bishop and his band play "Got to Be New Orleans," Michael Tilson Thomas sings "Who Do You Suppose Went and Married My Sister? Thomashefsky!" and Laurie Lewis joins Garrison on "Ripple." In Lake Wobegon, texting disrupts a choir concert.
Audio available Sundays at noon.
- 00:00:00 APM Logo
- 00:00:11 Tishomingo Blues - GK and Shoe Band
- 00:00:55 GK OPEN V.O.
- 00:01:52 GK Opens S.F. Show
- 00:05:19 O mio babbino caro (San Francisco) - GK and Shoe Band
- 00:07:35 SFX Script
- 00:10:25 Frisco Town - Pat Donohue and Shoe Band
- 00:13:39 Radio Script
- 00:24:24 GK talks about the beginnings of the War Memorial Opera House
- 00:26:24 San Francisco Opera House - GK and Shoe Band
- 00:29:23 Powdermilk Biscuit Break/ Heaven's Light is Shining - GK, Laurie Lewis, Tom Rozum
- 00:32:43 GK introduces Elvin Bishop
- 00:33:26 Got to Be New Orleans - The Elvin Bishop Band
- 00:37:27 GK talks with Elvin Bishop
- 00:39:12 Booty Bumpin' - The Elvin Bishop Band
- 00:43:36 Mom Script
- 00:50:23 GK introduces Michael Tilson Thomas
- 00:53:14 Tutankhamun - Michael Tilson Thomas with Shoe Band
- 00:55:40 GK talks with Michael Tilson Thomas
- 00:57:57 Who Do You Suppose Went and Married My Sister? Thomashefsky! - Michael Tilson Thomas with GK and GASB
- 01:02:56 Intermission - City of New Orleans
- 01:06:34 Welcome Back / GK Greetings
- 01:08:50 New Year's Eve Songs - GK and Shoe Band
- 01:13:23 You Have Been a Friend to Me - GK, Laurie Lewis and Tom Rozum with Shoe Band
- 01:16:50 I'll Be Glad - The Elvin Bishop Band
- 01:21:20 GK talks about traveling to San Francisco
- 01:23:50 Resolution Script
- 01:28:35 Ripple - GK, Laurie Lewis and Tom Rozum with Shoe Band
- 01:32:17 News From Lake Wobegon
- 01:43:58 Arabeske in C Major, op. 18 - Michael Tilson Thomas
- 01:47:00 Hey Ba-Ba-Re-Bop - The Elvin Bishop Band
- 01:50:43 LOL Script
- 01:53:30 GK Credit
- 01:55:03 The Parting Glass - GK and Richard Dworsky
- 01:56:22 Goodnight Ladies - GK, Shoe Band and live audience
- 01:56:39 Ruckus - Shoe Band
Listen to individual segments as listed below. Times may be edited for broadcast.
Need help listening to the audio? See how to listen.
Lovingly selected from the earliest archives of A Prairie Home Companion, this heirloom collection represents the music from earliest years of the now legendary show: 1974–1976. With songs and tunes from jazz pianist Butch Thompson, mandolin maestro Peter Ostroushko, Dakota Dave Hull and the first house band, The Powdermilk Biscuit Band (Adam Granger, Bob Douglas and Mary DuShane).