Cold Foot Boogie
This week on A Prairie Home Companion with Garrison Keillor, we're back at The Fitzgerald Theater in downtown Saint Paul for a live broadcast. With special guests, honky tonk harmonizers The Cactus Blossoms, our friends Bob Douglas and Susie Eldredge, and pianist Butch Thompson, who's written a few pieces about the Minnesota winter blues. Plus, the Royal Academy of Radio Actors, Tim Russell, Sue Scott, and Fred Newman, The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band, and the latest News from Lake Wobegon.
Download this week's scripts as PDF documents:
Audio available Sundays at noon.
- 00:00:00 Logo
- 00:00:13 Tishomingo Blues
- 00:02:48 GK talks about the warmer weather, end of the Polar Vortex
- 00:03:41 Putin's on the Blitz- GK and Richard Dworsky
- 00:05:46 GK talks about his recent trip to Paris
- 00:10:38 Vive La Compagnie- GK/band/ audience
- 00:12:45 Beer script
- 00:15:38 Big Chief- The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band
- 00:18:06 Rhubarb script
- 00:24:43 GK announces our 40th anniversary and celebration, intros Bob Douglas
- 00:27:19 There's No Hiding Place Down Here- Bob Douglas, Susie Eldredge, GK and Richard Kriehn with band
- 00:29:55 Powdermilk Biscuit Break
- 00:31:39 GK talks with Roy Blount Jr., who is in New Orleans for Mardi Gras.
- 00:35:42 Northern Boy- Pat Donohue and The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band
- 00:38:08 Guy Noir script
- 00:48:34 GK intros The Cactus Blossoms
- 00:50:18 Crazy Arms- The Cactus Blossoms with Guy's All-Star Shoe Band
- 00:53:19 GK talks with The Cactus Blossoms about the Turf Club
- 00:54:21 Queen of Them All- The Cactus Blossoms and Shoe Band
- 00:59:00 Go to the Mardi Gras- The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band
- 01:02:00 Intermission- Avalon
- 01:06:27 Greetings
- 01:08:33 Northwoods Waltz- Richard Kriehn and The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band
- 01:11:12 Hotel- GK/ Richard Dworsky
- 01:14:25 Diamond script
- 01:17:06 GK talks more about the folk scene
- 01:18:05 Anchored in Love- Bob, Susie, GK, Richard Kriehn
- 01:21:10 GK talks with Susie and Bob
- 01:22:05 Going Up Home To Live in Green Pastures- Bob, Susie, GK, Richard Kriehn
- 01:25:40 GK talks with Butch Thompson
- 01:26:30 In The Gloom- Butch Thompson
- 01:29:42 News From Lake Wobegon
- 01:43:42 I'm Coming Virginia- Butch Thompson and Pat Donohue
- 01:45:30 Catchup script
- 01:49:27 Stoplight Kisses- The Cactus Blossoms and Shoe Band
- 01:52:28 Credits
- 01:53:53 GK warns about falling on the ice
- 01:56:06 Big Chief reprise
Listen to individual segments as listed below. Times may be edited for broadcast.
Need help listening to the audio? See how to listen.
Lovingly selected from the earliest archives of A Prairie Home Companion, this heirloom collection represents the music from earliest years of the now legendary show: 1974–1976. With songs and tunes from jazz pianist Butch Thompson, mandolin maestro Peter Ostroushko, Dakota Dave Hull and the first house band, The Powdermilk Biscuit Band (Adam Granger, Bob Douglas and Mary DuShane).