Hear Our Song
This week on A Prairie Home Companion with Garrison Keillor, it's a live broadcast from the newly renovated Northrop Auditorium on the University of Minnesota campus in Minneapolis. With special guests, The Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra—the only full-time professional chamber orchestra in the United States—conductor Philip Brunelle, our good friend Vern Sutton, vocal powerhouses Jearlyn and Jevetta Steele, and singer Hilary Thavis. Plus, the Royal Academy of Radio Actors, Tim Russell, Sue Scott, and Fred Newman, The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band, and the latest News from Lake Wobegon.
We're testing out a brand new audio player that will work on phones and other devices!
Listen to the segmented version of this week's show or the full two-hour stream and let us know what you think. (Audio available Sundays at noon.)
Around the University of Minnesota
Click any image to see the full gallery
Download this week's scripts as PDF documents:
Audio available Sundays at noon.
- 00:00:00 Logo
- 00:00:13 Tishomingo Blues
- 00:03:20 GK opens, talks about alumni speeches
- 00:05:07 Old Folwell Hall- GK and band
- 00:08:28 Vivace from Symphony 101 (Haydn) - The Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra
- 00:14:00 GK talks with Steven Copes, concertmaster of the SPCO, and Kyu-Young Kim, principal second violin
- 00:16:58 Coda from Apollon Musagète (Stravinsky)- The Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra
- 00:20:35 Higher Arch Air script
- 00:22:50 Minneapolis Travelogue- GK and SPCO with Guy's All-Star Shoe Band
- 00:25:36 Powdermilk Biscuit Break
- 00:27:20 SFX script
- 00:33:50 Old Shep- GK and Vern Sutton
- 00:38:30 Student Blues- Hilary Thavis and band
- 00:42:00 Why Do Fools Fall in Love- Jearlyn Steele and Jevetta Steele with GK and band
- 00:44:56 GK talks about prom, dedicates next song to parents
- 00:45:20 Keep A Knockin'- Jearlyn Steele and Jevetta Steele with band
- 00:47:24 Guy Noir script
- 00:58:20 (Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher- Jearlyn Steele, Jevetta Steele, band
- 01:02:45 Intermission- Smoke in the Kitchen
- 01:06:15 Greetings
- 01:07:55 GK and Vern talk about the buildings on the U of MN campus
- 01:09:50 Hail! Minnesota- GK and Vern Sutton with Philip Brunelle, organ
- 01:12:51 Rivers of Minnesota- GK with Jearlyn and Jevetta
- 01:16:43 Duct Tape script (Minnesota Girls)- GK, Richard Dworsky, Richard Kriehn, Pat Donohue, band
- 01:18:52 Catchup script
- 01:21:57 A Smile on the Street- Richard Dworsky and The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band
- 01:24:30 News From Lake Wobegon
- 01:36:12 Finale from St. Anne Fugue (Bach)- Philip Brunelle
- 01:38:14 GK talks with Philip about the old organ that used to be here in Northrop, graduation, naked party down by the river
- 01:45:14 POEM script
- 01:46:51 Plumbing script
- 01:49:40 Baby What You Want Me to Do- Jearlyn Steele and Jevetta Steele with band
- 01:52:10 Fast Pace script
- 01:53:40 Coffee Jingle- GK and Jearlyn Steele
- 01:55:00 Credits, Waiting At The End of the Road
Listen to individual segments as listed below. Times may be edited for broadcast.
Need help listening to the audio? See how to listen.
Lovingly selected from the earliest archives of A Prairie Home Companion, this heirloom collection represents the music from earliest years of the now legendary show: 1974–1976. With songs and tunes from jazz pianist Butch Thompson, mandolin maestro Peter Ostroushko, Dakota Dave Hull and the first house band, The Powdermilk Biscuit Band (Adam Granger, Bob Douglas and Mary DuShane).