Restless as a Willow
This week on A Prairie Home Companion with Garrison Keillor, it's a live broadcast from the Des Moines Civic Center in Des Moines, Iowa. With special guests, songwriter and guitarist Dave Moore, and pianist Nicholas Roth. Plus, the Royal Academy of Radio Actors, Sue Scott, Tim Russell, Kate Beahen, and Fred Newman, The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band, and the latest News from Lake Wobegon.
We're testing out a brand new audio player that will work on phones and other devices!
Listen to the segmented version of this week's show or the full two-hour stream and let us know what you think. (Audio available Sundays at 1pm.)
Around Des Moines
Click any image to see the full gallery
Download this week's scripts as PDF documents:
Audio available Sundays at noon.
- 00:00:00 Logo
- 00:00:11 Tishomingo Blues
- 00:03:06 GK opens, talks about Iowa history
- 00:05:43 Iowa Waltz- Garrison Keillor and Kate Beahen with band
- 00:09:22 Dave Moore talks about his accordion
- 00:10:00 Estrella De Oro- Dave Moore and The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band
- 00:11:54 GK talks with Kate Beahen about The Music Man
- 00:13:52 Iowa Stubborn- Kate Beahen with Sue Scott, Tim Russell, Fred Newman and band
- 00:15:54 The Lives of the Cowboys script
- 00:24:38 I Heard The Bluebird Sing- GK and Richard Kriehn with band
- 00:28:00 One More Spring- GK and band
- 00:31:17 Powdermilk Biscuit Break
- 00:33:00 GK talks about Iowa caucus, the Iowa State Fair
- 00:33:49 Hormones script
- 00:37:06 Dogs script
- 00:39:45 It's You- GK and Kate Beahen with Richard Dworsky and Gary Raynor
- 00:41:08 It Is So Beautiful- GK and Richard Dworsky
- 00:44:40 GK talks with Mike Draper
- 00:51:17 GK reads Ted Kooser poems, underscored by Nicholas Roth, piano
- 00:59:46 Sister- Dave Moore with The Guy's All-Star Shoe Band
- 01:02:44 GK talks about the state capital. more Iowa notes, farmer's market
- 01:05:17 Intermission- You Can't Do That
- 01:09:08 Limericks- GK and Richard Dworsky
- 01:13:18 'Til There Was You- GK and Kate Beahen with band
- 01:15:06 Spaghetti- GK and Richard Dworsky
- 01:17:40 Amish script
- 01:20:13 Guy Noir script
- 01:30:00 GK talks with Dave Moore
- 01:30:43 My Perfect Game- Dave Moore and band
- 01:34:40 News From Lake Wobegon
- 01:45:20 Novelette No. 1 (Schumann)- Nicholas Roth
- 01:49:00 Non-Dairy script
- 01:50:02 Cheapest Kind- GK and band
- 01:54:56 Credits, Goodnight Ladies closer
Listen to individual segments as listed below. Times may be edited for broadcast.
Need help listening to the audio? See how to listen.
Lovingly selected from the earliest archives of A Prairie Home Companion, this heirloom collection represents the music from earliest years of the now legendary show: 1974–1976. With songs and tunes from jazz pianist Butch Thompson, mandolin maestro Peter Ostroushko, Dakota Dave Hull and the first house band, The Powdermilk Biscuit Band (Adam Granger, Bob Douglas and Mary DuShane).