Outstanding in Our Field
Coming to you this week from the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville, Tennessee, it's a live broadcast of A Prairie Home Companion with Garrison Keillor. With special guests, guitar-slinging singer Brad Paisley, country music outsider Sturgill Simpson, mandolin maestro Sam Bush, and fiddle virtuoso Stuart Duncan. Plus, a visit from Brian Dan Christensen, the Royal Academy of Radio Actors, Tim Russell, Sue Scott, and Fred Newman, musical director Richard Dworsky with guitarist Dean Magraw, drummer Chris Brown, and bassist Todd Parks, and the latest News from Lake Wobegon.
We're testing out a brand new audio player that will work on phones and other devices!
Listen to the segmented version of this week's show or the full two-hour stream and let us know what you think. (Audio available Sundays at 1pm.)
Click any image to see the full gallery
Download this week's scripts as PDF documents:
Audio available Sundays at noon.
- 00:00:00 Logo
- 00:00:11 Tishomingo Blues
- 00:03:10 GK opens
- 00:05:40 Methodist Blues- GK and band
- 00:08:47 Nashville Blues- Sam Bush and band with Brad Paisley
- 00:12:50 Guy Noir script (with Sam Bush, Stuart Duncan and Dean Magraw)
- 00:24:40 Long White Line- Sturgill Simpson
- 00:29:08 Voices- Sturgill Simpson
- 00:32:08 Powdermilk Biscuit Break (with Brad Paisley)
- 00:33:57 Mother's Day script (with Stuart Duncan)
- 00:40:56 GK talks about Mother Maybelle Carter
- 00:41:50 Give Me The Roses- Garrison Keillor, Sam Bush, Stuart Duncan and band
- 00:44:30 Geology script, with Brad Paisley
- 00:48:33 Harvey Bodine- Brad Paisley with band and GK
- 00:53:15 Southern Comfort Zone- Brad Paisley and band
- 00:58:30 SFX script
- 01:04:20 Roly Poly (Intermission)
- 01:08:07 Greetings
- 01:10:20 Can't Help Falling in Love- GK and Brian Christensen with band and audience
- 01:14:38 Heartbreak Hotel (in Danish)- Brian Christensen and band
- 01:15:32 That's Alright Mama- Brian Christensen and band
- 01:18:20 My Little Girl in Tennessee- Sam Bush, Stuart Duncan and band
- 01:21:30 Boat script
- 01:22:40 GK talks with Sturgill Simpson
- 01:23:43 Turtles All the Way Down- Sturgill Simpson
- 01:27:00 Death of A Single Man- Brad Paisley with band
- 01:32:00 News From Lake Wobegon
- 01:42:37 They're Gonna Miss Me When I'm Gone- Sam Bush and band with Brad Paisley
- 01:47:15 Mom script
- 01:52:10 Sitting Here Without You- Sturgill Simpson
- 01:54:30 Credits, Goodnight Sweetheart/ Soul of Man closer
Listen to individual segments as listed below. Times may be edited for broadcast.
Need help listening to the audio? See how to listen.
Lovingly selected from the earliest archives of A Prairie Home Companion, this heirloom collection represents the music from earliest years of the now legendary show: 1974–1976. With songs and tunes from jazz pianist Butch Thompson, mandolin maestro Peter Ostroushko, Dakota Dave Hull and the first house band, The Powdermilk Biscuit Band (Adam Granger, Bob Douglas and Mary DuShane).